Introduce yourself (part one)

Hi everyone,

We thought we'd create a discussion where people can say hello and introduce themselves.

You don't have to say something here but it'd be nice to get a chance to say hello Smile

Please remember that you should not share personal details (such as emails or phone numbers) to protect your privacy.

And don't feel you have to introduce yourself, it's entirely up to you and please only share what you're comfortable with.

Parents
  • Hello

I am the father of a 27 year old autistic son who despite his many communication and learning difficulties, has maintained a full time job at a supermarker and for the last 3 years has lived by himself in a flat.  He is extremely independent.  However, he showed me a letter form his employers last week which stated he had been suspended and had to attend a meeting the folowing day.  I was astounded and was not aware of any difficulties he was having at work. At the meeting the employer told me of various incidents over the last 18 months or so.  They had requested my son to tell me but he told them he was not going to.  They said they had to respect his wishes.  They had involved the Shaw Trust who in turn had called in the Speech and Therapy dept from the council.  But my son had refused simple solutions such as wearing a badge or carrying cue cards explaining his difficulty.  The real problem is that he gets into extreme frustration fits in which he will hit himself, stamp his feet, bang things and talk very loudly. When he is experiencing this he is not aware of what he is doing.  Is there anything I can do mecially to reduce these 'fits'?  He did go to the doctor a few weeks ago but has been referred to Speech Therapy - but that is not the solution.

• Hello

I am the father of a 27 year old autistic son who despite his many communication and learning difficulties, has maintained a full time job at a supermarker and for the last 3 years has lived by himself in a flat.  He is extremely independent.  However, he showed me a letter form his employers last week which stated he had been suspended and had to attend a meeting the folowing day.  I was astounded and was not aware of any difficulties he was having at work. At the meeting the employer told me of various incidents over the last 18 months or so.  They had requested my son to tell me but he told them he was not going to.  They said they had to respect his wishes.  They had involved the Shaw Trust who in turn had called in the Speech and Therapy dept from the council.  But my son had refused simple solutions such as wearing a badge or carrying cue cards explaining his difficulty.  The real problem is that he gets into extreme frustration fits in which he will hit himself, stamp his feet, bang things and talk very loudly. When he is experiencing this he is not aware of what he is doing.  Is there anything I can do mecially to reduce these 'fits'?  He did go to the doctor a few weeks ago but has been referred to Speech Therapy - but that is not the solution.

Children
No Data