Seventies TV programmes on Talking Pictures

I have been watching the programmes from my teenage years and early twenties on Talking Pictures

What strikes me is how much more enjoyable they are.  Not a lot of loud music, the action is more sedate and the whole pace makes the stories a lot easier to take in.  Budgie, Public Eye, and the Mind of Mr JG Reeder have been on for the last few weeks, all accompanied by a warning about seventies language and attitudes which I can' fathom what they mean and to me it seems mostly inoffensive. 

These programmes are not based on outrageous plots, nor about murders every five minutes and are just fine drama entertainment.  I just wonder where television really lost the plot and in the main started to appeal to the lowest common denominator.  Or perhaps it always has and the rose tinted glasses are out, these programmes being quite a rarity amongst all the dross that was always on. (I can remember lots of programmes that were rubbish from that era!)

• There are also a lot of good old films on Talking Pictures.  I enjoy watching them and as for the old tv series there is a lot less violence and gore than in many modern films and the good guys usually win and the bad guys lose.

• Wasn't that UFO?  UFO also had the very sexy Ayshea Brough in it as well as the main characters Straker andthe bloke with the craggy face who was in Special Branch and Barry Lyndon.  I'll remember his name soon I'm sure!  Barry Gray's music as always was good.  

Space 1999 had husband and wife team Martin Landau and Barbara Bain together with Barry Morse who was dropped from the second series which had a different feel.  Gerry Anderson by the second series had totally fallen out with Sylvia so she took no part in it, and Barry Gray no longer did the music.  It was criticised for being too similar to Star Trek.

• space 1999  was cool in beginning and had really cool hair

• I find I enjoy the late 70s / early 80s programmes - so much less violence and nastiness and the men are men and the women are pretty (how horribly sexist of me) but people got on with each other.         My real weakness is for cheesy sci-fi like Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.       I recently tried Blake's 7 again but I found it just too low budget.

I like Tales of the Unexpected and The Avengers too and I have a love-hate relationship with Space 1999.  Smiley

• yes i do i prefer a good story oppsosed to special effects  ----- eg film  "Bullet" one good car chase and intense story