Hello Peoples Any housing problems like mine?

Hi everyone, am in my late 30s, I have high functioning autism, & I use an electric wheelchair because of my other disabilities..... I have a girlfriend who has lived with me for the past 10 years, She has bipolar disorder & suspected autism.....

We haven't been doing to well for a while now, I was improperly housed 12 years ago for all of my disabilities, I took class A prescription medication for years to enable me to cope standing on crutches to access my bathroom & kitchen as this property can't be adapted for a wheelchair user, I was told it would be before I signed for the flat which I wasn't happy with as my doctor told them noises from above seriously affect my anxieties leaving me not eating or sleeping & constantly staring at CCTV camera screens, Council didn't care which i gather is common with autistic peoples problems.....

After over a decade of this property in a bad area where the disabled are seen as easy victims for local criminals, I have ended up arrested repeatedly for going into full violent meltdown on people attacking me at my own front door, released without charge every time, but with my physical disabilities I also injure myself when this happens.... Heroin addicts breaking my windows when they didn't get away with robbing me, Sending the police to my home on false reports to harass me, False complaints to the council against us to cause us trouble......

5 years ago I had caused so much damage to my bodyon my medication trying to stand on my crutches to access my bathroom, The levels of medication I was on stopped me breathing on two occasions whilst passed out like a druggie on my prescription, I didn't know what was going on or where I was when I was awake & it was quite frightening..... After the second time my girlfriend/carer woke me up pounding on my chest & crying her eyes out I decided to stop the medication, I couldn't stay upright whilst on it, & can't stand or barely move without it.... The withdrawal was like hell, The medication is reported to be 100x stronger than heroin, I had to feel the pain of my disabilities come back into full force whilst writhing around from the withdrawals for nearly 2 months until I couldn't feel the withdrawals in my bones any more...... Traumatic, Been stuck on a bed for the past 5 years unable to access any of the other rooms from my wheelchair, & definitely not going out in public to be victimised in my wheelchair now I can't stand up........

Anyways, at the start of last year my nan died, before she went I spoke to her about the problems we've been having, & that with little to no help, & the council not caring about any of my disabilities...  I had cut contact with the council as they were speaking to me offensively, & We were trying to find a way of getting a caravan somewhere quiet...... My grandmother made me promise because of my physical disabilities we would give the council one last try & give it all we have, She said it would be hard to cope with dealing with the council for a short time & we would get the housing we need..... After my nan died, & all the council had done was accept our housing application & ignore half my doctors letters for important requirements, I got quite angry & called a housing solicitor (because I was dealing with housing), They don't do the sort of cases I was hoping for but pointed out the serious disrepair of this property was the councils responsibility, They had been telling me the rising damp & black mould was caused by condensation, The damp proofing in the brickwork has failed & the plaster's falling off the mouldy walls, no heating installed, Broken windows next to my bed as they won't fix hem unless I move the bed, I can't even move off the bed atm lol, So the housing solicitor opened a case for us....

The council tried denying knowledge of everything, They came round repeatedly & denied the problems until our solicitor arranged a joint survey with a 3rd party surveyor assisting the council, Suddenly they admitted there is a problem but claimed in writing they hadn't had access to the rooms until the joint survey.... My girlfriend had a bodycam on every time they attended & surveyed the whole property, They even commented on how disgusting it was we have to live lie this a few times on camera,... But they claim that never happened lol

Anyway, start of this year & the councils disrepair team contacted us to see if we would be happy with them contacting the areas we said we would live in on our housing application to help us get rehoused.... We thought this was amazing...until.... The next day we logged onto the housing website to find half of my medical requirements had been erased from my application...... I FREAKED OUT!!! I contacted the council & my solicitor, The council claimed there was no evidence the requirements had ever been on our application.... The next day I remembered a council complaint response from last year when I had them add the rest of my medical needs listed by my doctor & the locals autism service, I scanned it with my phone & sent the council & my solicitor copies, This forced the council to apply the requirements back on our application....

So.... At the start of the COVID 19 spread in this country the council insisted on a meeting in my home to discuss the disrepair case, I asked my solicitor to rearrange the appointment as we had put ourselves on lockdown, I am seriously susceptible to lung infections & often end up on oxygen in the hospital, so not taking any risks.... The council replied claiming I was being unreasonable delaying the meeting they had been delaying for a year... 3 Days later the country went on lockdown, How unreasonable am i now? Rofl

Now we get to 6-7 weeks ago, The council contacted my solicitor saying they had an offer of a property for us in an area we had chosen on our application, so he asked them to send the offer directly to us..... We received a rude ultimatum giving us an address in an area we put on the application we wouldn't live as we would live in fear & threat of violence, & the property was the same measurements as this place that isn't big enough for a wheelchair user..... But it has an extra room crammed into that space, so even more cramped.... The letter then went on to say we would accept the property or have our bidding status downgraded for rehousing, & then it said make sure we bring ID when we view & sign for the property...... How rude & presumptuous!..... We complained & the reply says the area they have chosen is managed by an area we said we would live, The area the property is in is located in an area that has its own choice on the application & we chose it on the "would never consider" page, & we had help with our application so we didn't fill it out wrong.....

We turned down the unsuitable property in the unsuitable area, The council haven't downgraded us even though time is long passed on their threats, & they are saying the offer remains open until an OT can do an assessment to see if the property could be made suitable..... What don't they get about the fact we would be in danger in that area, & I would be in constant fear of attack with no way of running from it, That could make me a problem to others & myself, & my medical notes strictly forbid me being put in situations like that..... The council are still choosing to ignore this as a medical need for to my autism, A reasonable adjustment, & like cavemen keep saying "Wheelchair=Bungalow" when the property itself wouldn't fit my wheelchair with no furniture, & how is an OT going to make a property in an area I wouldn't go through in a speeding tank suitable???

I've chosen to continue turning down the property, The council want us to take it to avoid a disrepair court case that'll cost them £17000 in repairs & compensation for damaged possessions eaten by the mould here, So if they want to threaten to keep me here longer if I turn down unsuitable housing....... They can make this place livable while we wait, & we will still need moving at the end as this place can't be adapted for a wheelchair user.....

All of this is far more than I'm able to deal with, I keep overloading & cutting communications with everyone so I don't affect our housing blowing up & telling them exactly what I think of them & those that bully the disabled, I went to a school for the disabled & we were taught this sort of thing was protected against in law.... There are even more protections in place these days with the 2009 autism act, the 2010 equality act, the 2014 care act.... There are likely tonnes more I don't know about, But who enforces them? Still trying to figure that out....

So my housing solicitor is still working on the disrepair case, He is very patient with me ranting all the time in emails about the council, He has even helped us a few times on legal issues outside the disrepair case with the council for free when he's had enough of seeing the "less than legal" way the council have been acting toward us, But he is limited as alot of his time is taken up with paid cases he can't neglect.... Currently calling every discrimination/public law solicitors firm we can find trying to find one that has legal aid & spaces for new cases, I'm not good with talking to people I don't know & is really draining me & leaving me in need of a wash from the fountains of sweat....... 

Oh well, The saga continues, Feels like it's never going to end, But I'd rather wait for somewhere suitable than be pushed into somewhere unlivable.......... 

Hope everyone's staying safe & well atm  MaskThumbsup tone2

• Thank you, I will have a look through the links soon..... All of this is more than I'm able to deal with, Our local MP Hilary Benn has contacted us today advising we take legal action against the council after seeing the councils stage 1 complaint response to us regarding discrimination saying we had been "Bypassed" for bids on properties we ended first on their site for, The had told Hilary Benn's office in writing we had come 5th & 7th for those properties & were getting closer to a successful bid being accepted...... Then they try & force an unsuitable property in an unsuitable area on us ignoring documents from my doctor & the local autism service..... Not even the local MP can get this criminal council to play straight.....

The thing the local council doesn't understand is..... I promised  my nan before she died last year that I would stop avoiding it, I would put myself through this for as long as it takes for them to house us properly.... I never broke a promise to my nan, & She can't let me off of my promise now..... So my local council will not get rid of me now, I will remain polite.... I will call everyone I can find online for help.... I Will explain our situation on every relevant public forum, & on social media incase someone who can help reads it & offers advice/support..... I will never quit now until we have suitable housing where we feel safe & I have wheelchair access!

Sorry if I am going on a bit, I was getting help from the local adult autism service for around 8 years, But as soon as they started supporting us with council housing the council cut my funding for the autism service.... I'm trapped on a bed with no wheelchair access to the rest of the property we are currently in, & With my girlfriends mental health problems I am having to deal with all the phone calls & everything to try & get our housing sorted properly..... Forcing myself to make the calls through the intense anxiety is a fight, But when I am faced with rude people on the other end it is very offputting as I find it hard not to reflect their rudeness back at them, So I often excuse myself when calls turn like that, Telling them I consider their way of dealing with people very rude, & hanging up.... I will eventually try every solicitor in the country repeatedly until I find one with spaces & access to legal aid, I will never give up or allow the council to bully us into unsuitable housing again, & we have bodycams now so they can't lie about us, Or deny what they have been saying to us, Taunting, Bullying & false complaints all directed at us by local council workers, Even our housing solicitor has witnessed it but has no access to legal aid funding for discrimination cases, He has also stated as to the facts that we have done nothing wrong as we have been copying him with every email to & from the council

So yeah, I'm sure everyone on this site knows how hard it is for us to find help or cope with situations like this, But the council have made a big mistake ever thinking I will give up after promising my nan!

Stay well, & Thank you again for the links in the above reply

• Hello Me

I am sorry to hear of all the problems you have been facing around your housing.  I am not sure if you are aware of any of our help facilities but I have listed the one's that are relevant below...... they may be able to assist you as well as your solicitor. 

https://www.autism.org.uk/about/benefits-care/community-care/adult-care/england.aspx

You may find it useful to have a look at our Community Care page on our website. The page contains information about community care services, at home or in the community, that may be available to you:http://www.autism.org.uk/about/benefits-care/community-care.aspx

You may want to search for services in your area that cater for people with an autism spectrum disorder on our Autism Services Directory: www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx

You may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice . You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor. Alternatively, should you prefer to send a message, you can do so via their webform:

https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/questions.aspx

I  hope you find some of this useful

Best Wishes

Lorraine Mod

• I don't know how to help you.

You have my sympathy and you make my housing situation seem like paradise in comparison.