Potential Future Assessment.

I am scared I will never be assessed. I am told I am half way down the list. My local autism assessment team have been working very hard and the waiting list is said to be just two years now, but with all the virus chaos and the economy collapsing, will I ever be assessed? 

I know no one can answer this question, but it is quite a concern.

Parents
  • Thank you for the reply. I hope I will be assessed as I reached the point where I had no way forward. If it wasn't for the kind hearted people I have met in recent months who have helped me like the autism team, and the lady at the benefits office (I have had years of not working and not facing signing on and in the last 15 years only being able to work low hours part time work until it reached the point where that was too much for me). 

I saw the autism team on an openday and the first time ever I opened up. They were able to write to my doctor for a sicknote. I had help then to claim benefits. Now officially I need to look for work but fortunately the lady in the benefits office says I don't have to yet until I am ready at my pace (A huge relief) and they will be helping me to find a job that will not trigger any shutdowns. They did want me to appeal the decision to need to work, but I just can't go through the appeals process, and if the current situation means... Well. If I can't andle the stress I can always walk out and get no income. I have survived on no income before and I can do it again. (I have a life long train collection I can slowly sell though at the moment, this is not an option with this virus lockdown which is making me feel soo much panicky inside).

Anyway. Without an assessment I cant challenge things. I have nothing official. My doctor does not even know any details that I have been having because I normally clam up when visiting doctors, and have to talk about things that are not relevent to get my mind to talk again... 

(I never can come straight to the point).

Anyway. Yes. I need to be patient. 

With this lockdown my main means to de-stress is not available to me. So my stomache is constantly half way up my throat! 

So sorry for typing too much... 

• Thank you for the reply. I hope I will be assessed as I reached the point where I had no way forward. If it wasn't for the kind hearted people I have met in recent months who have helped me like the autism team, and the lady at the benefits office (I have had years of not working and not facing signing on and in the last 15 years only being able to work low hours part time work until it reached the point where that was too much for me). 

I saw the autism team on an openday and the first time ever I opened up. They were able to write to my doctor for a sicknote. I had help then to claim benefits. Now officially I need to look for work but fortunately the lady in the benefits office says I don't have to yet until I am ready at my pace (A huge relief) and they will be helping me to find a job that will not trigger any shutdowns. They did want me to appeal the decision to need to work, but I just can't go through the appeals process, and if the current situation means... Well. If I can't andle the stress I can always walk out and get no income. I have survived on no income before and I can do it again. (I have a life long train collection I can slowly sell though at the moment, this is not an option with this virus lockdown which is making me feel soo much panicky inside).

Anyway. Without an assessment I cant challenge things. I have nothing official. My doctor does not even know any details that I have been having because I normally clam up when visiting doctors, and have to talk about things that are not relevent to get my mind to talk again... 

(I never can come straight to the point).

Anyway. Yes. I need to be patient. 

With this lockdown my main means to de-stress is not available to me. So my stomache is constantly half way up my throat! 

So sorry for typing too much... 

Children
  • That wasn’t too much :) it’s important that you say what you need to say - it’s a release from the pent up anxieties this is causing and I’m always happy to listen :) well, in the case of a forum it’s more reading than listening but you get what I mean :-p

It sounds like you have a good work coach at the job centre. My advice would be to keep engaging with them because loving with no income at all wouldn’t be good for you. Also once this virus is over and we can all leave home, there may be autism support groups in your area.  This forum is also full of decent people too, so a valuable tool to keep Slight smile

The lockdown is tough and finding a way through it will have its challenges and what works for one person might not another, but like I said if you ever want a chat, I’m here and my messenger settings allow anyone to message me :)