Any writers here ?

I have always wanted to be a writer yet I always procrastinate too much, I have about three books I have started, the beginning is written and so is the end.

I guess I just need to write the in between, its not that I find it hard, its just difficult to keep my attention span on my stories.

I did write a synopsis on the theory of the matrix and I sent it to Steven King, he must of read it as he left a cryptic message, which relates to the Lawnmower man movies.
I pretty much suggested and pointed out all the plots that linked it to the matrix and he confirmed that my ideas where right. Its kind of weird as I asked him for advice on stuff via twitter and he always reply's in general tweets. Which I can relate to but also it can be read as something else, its pretty strange yet fun. So he suggested three books which I have ordered and hopefully will find time to read to try and help me develop my stories. Id like to be published but even Mr King suggests these are different times and even he has difficulties, oh well I hope one day I can complete what I started. I procrastinate too much, I dont have it in me for a novel but short stories I think I can do.

Parents
  • Hey,

I've made an attempt at being a writer, but like you I have trouble keeping focussed. I tend to get lost in the worldbuilding, and lose momentum with working on the actual story.

I have several projects in progress, but my main one is the first part of what I envision as a series of novels. Again the same as you I have the beginning and the end but get lost when doing the bits in between. 

Although I've made quite a bit of progress it's definitely a labour of love, having taken more years than I would like to admit.

I recently started a short story to see if I could actually finish it, but now I've just ended up with several unfinished short stories as well as unfinished novels.

Now with everything that's going on in the world at the moment I've been too distracted and have lost momentum again.

• Hey,

I've made an attempt at being a writer, but like you I have trouble keeping focussed. I tend to get lost in the worldbuilding, and lose momentum with working on the actual story.

I have several projects in progress, but my main one is the first part of what I envision as a series of novels. Again the same as you I have the beginning and the end but get lost when doing the bits in between. 

Although I've made quite a bit of progress it's definitely a labour of love, having taken more years than I would like to admit.

I recently started a short story to see if I could actually finish it, but now I've just ended up with several unfinished short stories as well as unfinished novels.

Now with everything that's going on in the world at the moment I've been too distracted and have lost momentum again.

Children
  • Had no idea that this thread was started. I was reading a carbon copy of exactly what I'm like. I procrastinate far too much and stopped making progress on my story. I have one main novel and a sequel loosely based on the first. I started writing ideas down after I graduated from uni in a notebook. Everytime I had an inspiration, I wrote in the notebook. Rinse and repeated that for over 6 years but I have finally restarted writing again and slowly overcome the proscrastination after a trip abroad for Christmas.

But having a significant experience can help you reflect and overcome the barrier preventing us from writing. For some, it could be this situation we're all facing right now. Or just by writing in a different format such as a blog, you could get the motivation to consistently write quality content for your stories.

All the best, and hope you regain your momentum.