Is it wrong to download illegaly?

Hi,

I just thought I would start this discussion to see what people think about illegal downloads....

I can honestly say I have never done it. Mainly for the fear of downloading a virus. From a moral perspective I am undecided.

I love music and love to collect CD's and records. If someone was never ever going to hear a beautiful peice of music in their life because they could not afford it would it be OK for them to download it illegaly? If they could never create something because they did not have some expensive software and therefore never fulfill there full potential would it be OK to illegall download the software? However where do you draw the line? Do you then just help yourself to someones possesions? Also what if the owner (software designer or artist) is really struggling to make a living? Should that influence your decision to download?

I am not a big fan of the consumer economy and culture but thats maybe another topic.

Cool

Parents
  • Thanks for the post Zone_tripper. I agree it is 'stealing' nut what is interesting is where people draw the 'moral line'. I guess the risk of getting caught plays a part. I think the idea of stealing something 'physical' as opposed to 'virtual' (for want of a better word) influences people too. Also the fact that 'everyone else is doing it'.

My mum used to soak an envelope to re-use the postage stamp if it wasn't franked. I am pretty sure she did not see it as theft and would be horrified at the idea of stealing.

Another hypothetical moral question:

If a friend or member of your family was dying and you had no way to afford the drugs to save them, would you be prepared to steal them? (In addition the drugs are easy to take, made cheaply and sold with a hugh mark up price).

This is a totally made up scenario.

Wink

• Thanks for the post Zone_tripper. I agree it is 'stealing' nut what is interesting is where people draw the 'moral line'. I guess the risk of getting caught plays a part. I think the idea of stealing something 'physical' as opposed to 'virtual' (for want of a better word) influences people too. Also the fact that 'everyone else is doing it'.

My mum used to soak an envelope to re-use the postage stamp if it wasn't franked. I am pretty sure she did not see it as theft and would be horrified at the idea of stealing.

Another hypothetical moral question:

If a friend or member of your family was dying and you had no way to afford the drugs to save them, would you be prepared to steal them? (In addition the drugs are easy to take, made cheaply and sold with a hugh mark up price).

This is a totally made up scenario.

Wink

Children
No Data