Is it wrong to download illegaly?

Hi,

I just thought I would start this discussion to see what people think about illegal downloads....

I can honestly say I have never done it. Mainly for the fear of downloading a virus. From a moral perspective I am undecided.

I love music and love to collect CD's and records. If someone was never ever going to hear a beautiful peice of music in their life because they could not afford it would it be OK for them to download it illegaly? If they could never create something because they did not have some expensive software and therefore never fulfill there full potential would it be OK to illegall download the software? However where do you draw the line? Do you then just help yourself to someones possesions? Also what if the owner (software designer or artist) is really struggling to make a living? Should that influence your decision to download?

I am not a big fan of the consumer economy and culture but thats maybe another topic.

Cool

Parents
  • Hi Isha,

I agree, it is theft.

Isha said:

As far as music goes, how do you know you are missing the most amazing piece of music in the world if you never heard it?

I agree. What if you had access to no music?

Isha said:

Why would you want to download it if you don't know what it is?

It was more the idea of someone not experiencing something because of their limited finnancial capabilities that I was thinking about. For example if the person was unable to ever reach a financial threshold that enabled them to hear some specific music. With spotify and mixcloud this situation doesn't really exist, if you have a computer. If you don't have a computer then you can't download anyhow.

I think people would want to listen to new unheard music just because that is what humans seek. They are curious. I guess they would not have to download it until they had heard it if they caould preview it elsewhere. They could however download it and then listen to it. If they decided they didn't want to keep it they could delete it.

It must be very frustrating and disheartening to experience having your software hacked and stolen. There is something very wrong with this world. Maybe its got something to do with society as a whole.

• Hi Isha,

I agree, it is theft.

Isha said:

As far as music goes, how do you know you are missing the most amazing piece of music in the world if you never heard it?

I agree. What if you had access to no music?

Isha said:

Why would you want to download it if you don't know what it is?

It was more the idea of someone not experiencing something because of their limited finnancial capabilities that I was thinking about. For example if the person was unable to ever reach a financial threshold that enabled them to hear some specific music. With spotify and mixcloud this situation doesn't really exist, if you have a computer. If you don't have a computer then you can't download anyhow.

I think people would want to listen to new unheard music just because that is what humans seek. They are curious. I guess they would not have to download it until they had heard it if they caould preview it elsewhere. They could however download it and then listen to it. If they decided they didn't want to keep it they could delete it.

It must be very frustrating and disheartening to experience having your software hacked and stolen. There is something very wrong with this world. Maybe its got something to do with society as a whole.

Children
No Data