Unfair treatment in school

Hi I'm genie, 2 sons on the spectrum . One in mainstream and one in a DSP.

I've just taken a call from my friend and want to offer some advice but I'm a bit unsure what to say. Her son (10) has not been allowed to join in with his class trips out for months because once he ran off. He is in the autism unit class of 8. 

He has been doing really well with his  behaviour and told he would be able to join his class going out again...until yesterday, when child in another class was aggravating him and he had a bit of a meltdown. Now they want to stop him going out tomorrow again. 

His teacher said in front of him to his mother a few days ago he would be joining the class out and about..  and this evening they rang the mother to say he wouldn't and she is very upset and refuses to be the one to tell him and deal with the stress..

Seems really unfair he is being punished to me..

Any advice?

Parents
  • This has made me incredibly angry. Legally the school cannot discriminate against a child because if their disability ( hate that word). They have a legal duty to enable the child to receive equal opportunities that the other children are getting. Too many schools do this on the basis that the parents will put up and shut up and it is so wrong and so damaging for the child.

• This has made me incredibly angry. Legally the school cannot discriminate against a child because if their disability ( hate that word). They have a legal duty to enable the child to receive equal opportunities that the other children are getting. Too many schools do this on the basis that the parents will put up and shut up and it is so wrong and so damaging for the child.

Children
No Data