Autism and the army

Hi all! 
first post and I need some advice.  Sorry if it’s in the wrong place.

my son is 15 and has an ASD diagnosis.  He’s determined to join the army in the infantry and adamant he doesn’t have ASD.

to be honest I think the army is the best thing for him. My question is can I have his ASD overturned? He’s much more communicative now and makes eye contact (I understand this can be learned behaviour) Can I go private? Or would it have to be NHS (which made the diagnosis)

Can anyone give advice please? I’m going to make an appointment with his gp tomorrow.

has anyone been successful in getting an ASD diagnosis overturned?

TIA

Nicola

Parents
  • dont tell them.  if they ask he can say they are wrong.  let me in. once in he will be fine. If need be join the TA for a while until he gets his fitness up.

• sorry but thats bad advice, if they find out he was diagnosed and didn't tell them he will be dishonourably discharged and possibly in a lot of trouble for it. Plus if he truly is autistic and in a war zone, he could potentially have a meltdown a put people's lives at risk

• sorry but thats bad advice, if they find out he was diagnosed and didn't tell them he will be dishonourably discharged and possibly in a lot of trouble for it. Plus if he truly is autistic and in a war zone, he could potentially have a meltdown a put people's lives at risk

Children
  • seriously? Lying on an application for the army is enough grounds for a dishonourable discharge! Do not lie on you're application it's simple as. 

• The army once you are in,  can reassess u and pass u as fit to remain. if u are fit and can do that u can stay. any ways it depends what regiment he joins. i recommend the irish regiments or if technical minded the engineering corps.

there is no reason any person can not serve his country and who says he is autistic ? meltdown ! what meltdown ? that is the negative approach !