Returning to Vinyl

On Wednesday night, I ordered a record player on Curry's PC World. It came this afternoon, and I played the LP I bought yesterday in Belfast.

The bad news is that the 'Vinyl to Digital' function doesn't work, due to iTunes being obsolete. However, I can still play the album. Also, I discovered a hack in the player where if you turn the auto-stop function on and off again, it will skip any scratches.

I'm happy with the outcome.

Parents
  • What brand? They usually have their own software in addition to the now defunct Itunes. You could also go to the brand site and see if they have any up-to-date software downloads that don't require Itunes. You could also use Audacity, but you might have to use a jack-to jack lead, or some other lead depending on what special plugs your PC has. Audacity looks complex and arguably IS complex, but once you've used it you probably won't want to use anything else. But it might take you a while to get used to the software.

https://www.audacityteam.org/

I have a Numark turntable with a USB connection lead. It's a machine often used by DJs. You can even get a version with a jog lever for scratching, Not my scene, however. ;-)

https://www.numark.com/product_category/turntables

• Thanks, guys! However, my number one priority was to listen to Vinyl records once again.

There is an old Vinyl collection - belonging to mum and dad - plus some 7' singles I bought as a child in 1992. They're in our attic, stored in a purple-and-black schoolbag. I tried going up the attic an hour ago, but the steps began to wobble, and I felt uncomfortable. I'll ask my aunt-through-marriage to search for them.

I have a Mac, and iTunes is obsolete as they have shoehorned streaming.

• By the way, to answer your question, my record player is an ION Max LP Beltdrive Turntable.

Reply Children
  • I ended up wiring the phono sockets to a jack plug into an Ubuntu platform laptop, and then ran Audacity.. Audacity also make software for the Ubuntu platform.The result was fine, but there are a lot of settings to re-remember.

I also tried reloading EZ Vinyl & Tape Converter on my Windows 11 tablet/laptop combo. I couldn't get it to load without Itunes; which of course doesn't work any longer. Both Numark and ION use EZ andhave download links on their sites.

Later on, I went to the ION site and downloaded their most recent version of EZ. The download made no obvious attempt to download Itunes at the same time; although the site still mentions itunes, somewhat confusingly. And one thing I can tell you from previous experience is that I have previously used EZ without Itunes being on the same machine. I think I managed to do that on the ION Max. (Perhaps because I also downloaded a more recent version of EZ.)

Anyway, it is a bit late to fiddle with turntables at this time of night, so i will try plugging the USB lead into the tablet and running it tomorrow. and will then let you know how i got on.

I can't help thinking this whole problem has occurred because the Apple people panicked at the prospect of many many USB turntable users making loads of digital music files to share. But ION, Amazon & Curry PC should really be a lot more honest with USB turntable buyers about this issue. But anyway, the positive side of it is that it encourages free Audacity downloads - a software that i really like. In fairness though, when i've used EZ conversion software before it has actually done a very good and fairly effortless job of converting from Vinyl. So I want to get it to work again, if I can.

• I know that model. I bought one for someone in the UK (I'm an expat) Eventually, I got to use it for the first time myself, while on a trip home. Actually, the USB system is very similar to my Numark, but it has the stylus dropper and autostop and two built in speakers. And it looks good, too! My Numark only has one speaker, as it is what they call an indexing machine. That means you can put batteries in it and carry it with you to a place that sells new or used vinyl where you can use it to check the disk quality.. However, you can also run it on mains and connect it to your own hi-fi system by phonos or thru the two different-sized headphone jacks.

Anyway, I really liked the ION, and so plugged a tablet into it with the USB lead to check the conversion process. I seem to remember running into the Itunes problem myself at some point (I can't remember if it was on the Numark, the ION or both.) But I eventually figured that I could still use the USB lead with Audacity. But I also got the Numark and ION software (same software company) to work as well. You might want to check again. If I remember rightly you can delete the crippled Itunes, and then run the software set-up again for just the conversion software alone. The conversion software is rather easier to use than Audacity, but Audacity has loads of other editting and mixing tricks built into it.

Anyway, I'm now off to check the Numark, to remind properly myself how the digitisation system works. Having initially digitised every vinyl i could lay my hands on (with great success), I haven't actually used the USB lead for a while. But I had it running yesterday with an FM transmitter attached to it, so i could use an wireless FM headset with it, or with a mobile phone or an FM radio as a pillow speaker There are actually all sorts of ways you can wire these things up experimentally

One comment I have is that if you wire it up to a hi-fi system, you might find it works best if you have a built-in graphic equaliser. My sound system isn't really quite good enough for a turntable; although the lack of soft furnishing in the room probably also contributes to a rather tinny sound. An EQ would probably help to eliminate certain tinny frequencies.

I got a spare stylus for mine thru' Amazon US. The local retailer didn't have any in stock, but a third party company on Amazon called something like The Needle Store sells a whole load of  genuine needles at sensible prices, with very fast delivery.