What are you passionate about?

It's very common for Autistic people to be very knowledgable in a particular field or about a very specific thing. So what I wanna know is what that is for people!

For me? It's Star Trek. I freaking love Star Trek. I live and breathe it. I went to a convention this year and it was awesome! I get so excited about it and just love watching it. Whenever I feel low? Watch Star Trek. Whenever I feel great? Watch Star Trek. Whenever I feel whenever? You can bet it's Star Trek time! I like playing a game where whenever I watch something else, I like to see if there's any actor who has ever been in Star Trek. You'd be surprised! I don't know too many people who also like it, so I just talk about it whenever and wherever. Sometimes I like to intentionally ramble on about it because I know it makes people roll their eyes. But sometimes people know how much I like it so they let me go on and on! I like those people!

I'm also pretty knowledgeable about films and TV in general. Even ones I haven't seen. I just seem to absorb trivial knowledge. 

So time for you to geek out about your passions! :D 

Parents
  • Genealogy. My family tree has 15,000 people on it. I also research my husband's which has a similar number. I have traced his line back to the 1100s. He is directly descended from many kings and queens, as far back as Robert the Bruce. Thankfully his ancestors had regularly updated their family tree with a 300 page document! 

I just love to sit and browse through the website, sometimes just picking someone at random and researching their life. Sometimes I just like to 'tidy up' the info I have online especially if copiedJoy from someone else and it lacks commas, full stops or capital letters. Joy I find I can lose myself for hours. 

• I love family history too! My father in law was given a 6 month ancestry subscription which he let me use, and I got so obsessed with it. My family is all working class so nothing very exciting, and they all lived in the middle section of England going back to the 1500s, which explains why I'm so pasty skinned. :) 

I did a tree for an American friend and he was related to British royalty - so fascinating.

I particularly love old newspaper stories about small town matters, old letters, war documents etc. 

I can't really afford a subscription right now so research takes longer (I can use the library too) but it's the act of researching that I love. It doesn't need to be my family either. When I worked at the library I would do research for customers!

• I love family history too! My father in law was given a 6 month ancestry subscription which he let me use, and I got so obsessed with it. My family is all working class so nothing very exciting, and they all lived in the middle section of England going back to the 1500s, which explains why I'm so pasty skinned. :) 

I did a tree for an American friend and he was related to British royalty - so fascinating.

I particularly love old newspaper stories about small town matters, old letters, war documents etc. 

I can't really afford a subscription right now so research takes longer (I can use the library too) but it's the act of researching that I love. It doesn't need to be my family either. When I worked at the library I would do research for customers!

Children
  • What I like about Ancestry is that you can pay month by month. Last month we didn't renew as we needed the £20 that month but I am now back online :) . We met American relatives of my husband a couple of years ago when they came to Scotland. We became aware of them through Ancestry. At that point I hadn't gone that far back with my husband's family tree so they were delighted to find later that they were descended from royalty. My family is fairly mundane, tin miners, generations of mole catchers! (a friend bought be a lovely book written by an ex-mole catcher and his life working in the countryside), upholsterers, French polishers, shoe makers - I like to find out what those jobs entailed years ago.