Service dogs

Hi, this is my first post so I don't know if it's in the right place to put it, I'm in my last year of secondary school, so I've been thinking quite a bit about my future.

I really struggle to navigate busy roads and struggle to get around these places without someone else to help me.

Would I be able to get a service dog to help me with this, also would I be able to train a dog I already had (I am diagnosed with ASD, but I'm not sure how eligible I would be for support like this). I think that this would make me much more inpendent and able to go out on my own, which could also help when I go to uni

Thanks

Parents
  • Anything that helps your confidence and mobility is a great thing - and you will be the most popular person on campus at uni!  Smiley

When you apply to uni - make sure you do a DSA application for any additional support you will need like a mentor and mobility assistance - they will allocate someone to go around the uni with you to help you learn where everything is.

Also - you need to make them aware of the dog - they will normally allocate a ground-floor disabled-person's room which is much bigger so you'll have the space needed for you both - and you'll probably get a huge wheelchair-friendly shower!

You will certainly meet lots of new people via the dog.  Smiley

• Anything that helps your confidence and mobility is a great thing - and you will be the most popular person on campus at uni!  Smiley

When you apply to uni - make sure you do a DSA application for any additional support you will need like a mentor and mobility assistance - they will allocate someone to go around the uni with you to help you learn where everything is.

Also - you need to make them aware of the dog - they will normally allocate a ground-floor disabled-person's room which is much bigger so you'll have the space needed for you both - and you'll probably get a huge wheelchair-friendly shower!

You will certainly meet lots of new people via the dog.  Smiley

Children
No Data