Spam Posts ???

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to this forum but I am a member of another forum on which both members and mods take quite a strong stance on people posting business promoting spam posts and links; I'm not keen on this kind of spam and on the other forum I understand how to deal with it but I don't want to do something wrong or make a social mistake so I would be grateful if some could explain how you as a community deal with this kind of thing. 

I get that people might link to sites that are relevant to the conversation but it's the random posts where people join and their first post is a promotional post with a link to a business. 

I suppose I'm asking how much wiggle room do you give because on the other forum I use we have zero tolerance attitude to it. 

Thanks

Leaf

• Zero tolerance of commercial interests and snake-oil pushers suits me just fine - feel at liberty to get them zapped!

Sounds good to me - thanks for the reply. 

• Such promotional spam is a breach of the forum rules, as are unsolicited requests for research participants (these may sometimes be allowed by prior arrangement with the NAS ethical reviewers, which presumably would be noted by the moderators). As such, we can "democratically" determine our collective attitude by "voting" with the report button - personally, I would rather risk the moderators dismissing my report is a "false positive" than have the moderators miss a dodgy post because they have too much to read through in the time available to them. Zero tolerance of commercial interests and snake-oil pushers suits me just fine - feel at liberty to get them zapped!