Emotional during movies.

Has anyone else become emotional during movies? (A Goofy Movie, Bolt, Inside Out etc.)

I know that this may sound soppy, but I tend to become slightly emotional to such movies especially when I have had a can or two. I know that there is no shame in showing one's emotions from movies.

I know that I am not the only one!

Parents
  • Yes, this has happened to me quite a lot, and often with the most unexpected things and at unexpected times. It happens much less with TV and movies because I haven't indulged in either of those things for many years, but it can happen when I'm reading books or browsing some of my favourite internet cartoons.

I think that being alexithymic is a big part of it for me. I often know that I have an emotion going on somewhere in the background of my mind, but just can't figure out which emotion it is until I see a concrete example of it right in front of my eyes - then everything clicks into place, and it all comes flooding out. Many years ago, when I had a very high stress job that burned me out to the point of becoming a complete recluse in my private life, it was almost an everyday occurrence that watching the SImpsons while eating my tea would suddenly make me realise how lonely I was coming back from work to an empty house.

It's also very, very ingrained in me not to show my emotions. I was strictly brought up (by my Father mostly) with the "boys don't cry" and "I'll give you something to cry about" ethos. I can still recall being absolutely mortified at bursting into tears in front of everyone when we'd gone on a visit to family friends and we watched "Tarka the Otter" (animals do it for me big time!). Even now, after receiving loads of therapy for my depression etc., I habitually fight tooth and nail not to show negative emotions in front of other people, even when I know it would be a perfectly normal reaction and I'm among people who wouldn't judge me for it. Sometimes that little kick from seeing something on screen can be the straw that breaks the camel's back, though.

• Yes, this has happened to me quite a lot, and often with the most unexpected things and at unexpected times. It happens much less with TV and movies because I haven't indulged in either of those things for many years, but it can happen when I'm reading books or browsing some of my favourite internet cartoons.

I think that being alexithymic is a big part of it for me. I often know that I have an emotion going on somewhere in the background of my mind, but just can't figure out which emotion it is until I see a concrete example of it right in front of my eyes - then everything clicks into place, and it all comes flooding out. Many years ago, when I had a very high stress job that burned me out to the point of becoming a complete recluse in my private life, it was almost an everyday occurrence that watching the SImpsons while eating my tea would suddenly make me realise how lonely I was coming back from work to an empty house.

It's also very, very ingrained in me not to show my emotions. I was strictly brought up (by my Father mostly) with the "boys don't cry" and "I'll give you something to cry about" ethos. I can still recall being absolutely mortified at bursting into tears in front of everyone when we'd gone on a visit to family friends and we watched "Tarka the Otter" (animals do it for me big time!). Even now, after receiving loads of therapy for my depression etc., I habitually fight tooth and nail not to show negative emotions in front of other people, even when I know it would be a perfectly normal reaction and I'm among people who wouldn't judge me for it. Sometimes that little kick from seeing something on screen can be the straw that breaks the camel's back, though.

Children
  • I think that being alexithymic is a big part of it for me. I often know that I have an emotion going on somewhere in the background of my mind, but just can't figure out which emotion it is until I see a concrete example of it right in front of my eyes - then everything clicks into place, and it all comes flooding out.

That's a very interesting thought, which strikes me as very probably what's going on for at least some of us on this thread.