When you imagine characters in a story you read

In the Autism Quotient questionnaire, there is this statement:

"When I'm reading a story, I can easily imagine what the characters might look like"

What if I always use faces that I know, for example actors from shows I've seen a lot? Sometimes I pick an actor to be a character after the first description of the character, then later they might say something about their looks that doesn't fit with the actor, and I'll kinda ignore it because I already decided who is playing that character.

To agree with the statement, should one be able to "build a face" in ones mind based on the information given?

Sometimes these things are so hard to answer when you don't know how other people work.

Parents
  • If the writer describes the characters well, then yes - obviously I can imagine what they look like.

But often I guess I don't bother e.g. 'Sparver' who is a 'hyperpig' in a book I'm reading at the moment... I don't associate an image with the name when it comes up - and I'm a highly visual thinker in normal circumstances.

• If the writer describes the characters well, then yes - obviously I can imagine what they look like.

But often I guess I don't bother e.g. 'Sparver' who is a 'hyperpig' in a book I'm reading at the moment... I don't associate an image with the name when it comes up - and I'm a highly visual thinker in normal circumstances.

Children
No Data