motor/coordination skills

I find this so hilariously annoying and wonder if anyone else suffers this:

I have trouble putting small food into my mouth with my hands. I've taken up eating dry fruit and nuts lately and I miss my mouth a lot.

Would this be a trait at all? I'm clumsy as hell anyway.

Parents
  • I find I’m more likely to miss my mouth when using cutlery—soup spoons are a particular problem for me as I either seem to hit the side of my mouth, my bottom lip or my front teeth. 

Like others, I’ve spent my whole life walking into furniture, door frames, door knobs and stubbing my toes on pretty much everything... and being told off by my mother for “not taking more care”. (I didn’t get dx’ed until I was 30.)

It’s better since I bought my flat as I have quite minimalist furniture, mostly slim-line things or multi-purpose things, wide walk ways and everything else is wall-hung. For the first time in my life now, I don’t have cuts and bruises all over my legs.

• For the first time in my life now, I don’t have cuts and bruises all over my legs

TRIGGER WARNING: Coffee Tables

Before I begin, a sincere apology; I realise that even the warning may have been painful reading for some of you. I shall henceforth refer to the abominations in question as Shin Devils (but only because I realise there may be minors reading this).

Having a space of my own where I decided what furniture to have and where potential obstacles would damned well stay where I put them! (pffft, sorry) meant being able to wear shorts again without people constantly mistaking me for a world class shin kicking champion and ferret legger.

Unfortunately, I had to revert back to sharing digs again after a few years. On the day of the move, I was thankfully able to fend off a Shin Devil pusher who was adamant that chipped shin-bones were all the rage and said she was trying to clear out her attic. Imagine my horror when, upon returning home from a trip to the corner shop (I was gone no more than 5 minutes, I swear), I discovered that my housemate had succumbed to the pusher's advances, and that thing, that monstrosity! (deep breaths now) had been given pride of place in... in... erm... 

Sorry, I...(sniffle)... I... just can't go there. Dammit, why did I have to go and catch my sleeve on that bl**dy door handle on the way out of the house? I still lie awake at night wondering if this cost me the vital seconds that might have averted disaster.

Suffice to say, the former housemate is still top of my list of people who will be put up against the wall when the revolution comes. 

• For the first time in my life now, I don’t have cuts and bruises all over my legs

TRIGGER WARNING: Coffee Tables

Before I begin, a sincere apology; I realise that even the warning may have been painful reading for some of you. I shall henceforth refer to the abominations in question as Shin Devils (but only because I realise there may be minors reading this).

Having a space of my own where I decided what furniture to have and where potential obstacles would damned well stay where I put them! (pffft, sorry) meant being able to wear shorts again without people constantly mistaking me for a world class shin kicking champion and ferret legger.

Unfortunately, I had to revert back to sharing digs again after a few years. On the day of the move, I was thankfully able to fend off a Shin Devil pusher who was adamant that chipped shin-bones were all the rage and said she was trying to clear out her attic. Imagine my horror when, upon returning home from a trip to the corner shop (I was gone no more than 5 minutes, I swear), I discovered that my housemate had succumbed to the pusher's advances, and that thing, that monstrosity! (deep breaths now) had been given pride of place in... in... erm... 

Sorry, I...(sniffle)... I... just can't go there. Dammit, why did I have to go and catch my sleeve on that bl**dy door handle on the way out of the house? I still lie awake at night wondering if this cost me the vital seconds that might have averted disaster.

Suffice to say, the former housemate is still top of my list of people who will be put up against the wall when the revolution comes. 

Children
  • Not many things make me laugh out loud... this did JoyJoy I'm terrible for walking into Shin Devils. I often get my sleeves caught on door handles too - or I just body slam into the door handle. I walked face first into a door the other night - we usually leave it open and I didn't even look properly to see if it was closed before walking through.

Glad I'm not the only clumsy one Joy

• Literally, tears streaming down my face! It’s been a very long time since I laughed so much I couldn’t read this aloud to my partner. Thank you, and I feel you. Totally. JoyJoyJoy

To paraphrase Monica in Friends when she was stung by a jellyfish: “Damn the Shin Devils! Damn all the Shin Devils!”