Recommendations of Books with Autistic Characters

I'm looking for book recommendations of books that have autistic characters, reading level of young adult and up. Not ones where you could argue that the character is autistic, but where the character is definitely written to be autistic.

I finished reading the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime and I really enjoyed it. I felt I could really identify with how the character thinks and acts at time. I also think it helped me learn a bit more about how others experience autism. I would love to read more like it.

Parents
  • For a really uplifting factual book about autism, and one that's great for shattering stereotypes, I always recommend The Reason I Jump, by Naoki Higashida.

Naoki is a non-verbal autistic boy (a man by now) from Japan, who was only 13 years old when he wrote the book (using a unique spelling out system devised by him and his Mum). It's written in a question and answer style, along with a few short pieces of his creative writing, so it's great for dipping into. I defy anyone to read it and not be brought to tears - by his positivity and humour as much as by the frustration he describes at finding it so hard to express the love he feels for the non-autistic people around him.

• That sounds really interesting. I'll see if the library has a copy.

Reply Children
No Data