Having to go to the Job Centre, 3 years after signing off Universal Credit

Hello,

Today, my Mum has made me claim Universal Credit. I am naffed off beyond belief! It is almost four years to the month that I first signed on. And nearly 3 three, since I last signed off. My first appointment with my new work coach is next week and I am dreading it! After nine months, if you have not managed to find work, they send you to a "Welfare to work" company (I won't mention the name of the company for fear of being sued). My time there, well, I dreaded going! They tried to get me to do a level 1 course (Basic English and Mathematics, not even GCSE level). It was unbelievably degrading, however I had to attend in order for my payments to continue.

This on top of trying to find employment, one of my Uncles dying, his upcoming funeral, my Brother expecting his first child in a few weeks, attending medical appointments in ludicrous locations... It just feels as though that everything and everyone is on my back, the walls are closing in and someone is having a giggle at me.

Has anyone else felt like this?

Parents
  • Sounds like you're having a hard time generally so that means it's not great to be having to deal with the DWP too.  Somehow things do seem to come together and so, yes, I've also felt a bit "got at" at times. 

Gotta say, I'm very suspicious of the DWP and the various hoops to be jumped through.  My own dealings with them have been difficult and I've had to explain my way out of their suggestions on basic skills updates that seemed insulting.  At the same time, though, (and speaking here in the role of parent too), I worry about planning for the future, family finances and in particular NI contributions not being made (I check my own every year and i'm all too aware that, for any years my sons haven't been in work or claiming benefits, their record will be blank).  Not sure what's prompted your mum to make this decision now though.  Would she maybe talk through your fears and support you through the process, assuming it's needed at this point?     

• Hi JennyButterfly,

Thank you for your response. If I could figure out what prompts my Mum to do half the things she says/does (She always comes up with certain things at the strangest times), I would be a step closer to figuring out Mankind's biggest question... "Why?". She has said that she would come to appointments with me if I need support.

• Hi JennyButterfly,

Thank you for your response. If I could figure out what prompts my Mum to do half the things she says/does (She always comes up with certain things at the strangest times), I would be a step closer to figuring out Mankind's biggest question... "Why?". She has said that she would come to appointments with me if I need support.

Children
No Data