Summer insect invasion!

I thought it was time for another lightish thread Slight smile This year has been pleasantly free of gnats (hate the things!) but the ants decided to cause me grief by chewing a hole in my patio door frame! Luckily the ants themselves appear to have disappeared now but it’s annoying as I now need to fill in the hole and clear up their mess! Why couldn’t they just use the door like everyone else? 

Has anyone else suffered at the hands of insects, this or any other summer? Comic/Serious/Other stories are all welcome Slight smile

Parents
  • I dont mind insects as I grow my own food and chemical free so insects all have a place. Ive also started researching bugs. Ants come in our front door however but ground cinnamon along the door stopped them. I also planted mint there. I've been bitten alot this year so tried having skin so soft and it does really repel bugs! I see alot of facebook posts saying I've been bitten I think was false widdow..... I've lots in my conservatory and no bites from these. 

• I dont mind insects as I grow my own food and chemical free so insects all have a place. Ive also started researching bugs. Ants come in our front door however but ground cinnamon along the door stopped them. I also planted mint there. I've been bitten alot this year so tried having skin so soft and it does really repel bugs! I see alot of facebook posts saying I've been bitten I think was false widdow..... I've lots in my conservatory and no bites from these. 

Children
  • We grow our own food too and try to keep it as organic as possible. Little pots of stale beer sunk into the ground around plants are a fabulous deterrent for slugs! Your bug research seems interesting, what have you discovered?

Thank you for the tip about ground cinnamon for deterring the ants! I could try that next year and it would be safe for both the dog and my youngest daughter. I wonder what it is about the cinnamon that repels them? I could try planting mint in tubs outside my patio doors, it would smell nice too! It’s interesting that you say that having soft skin repels bugs as I use tons of moisturiser and haven’t been bitten this year I don’t think, I wonder how this works?