Summer insect invasion!

I thought it was time for another lightish thread Slight smile This year has been pleasantly free of gnats (hate the things!) but the ants decided to cause me grief by chewing a hole in my patio door frame! Luckily the ants themselves appear to have disappeared now but it’s annoying as I now need to fill in the hole and clear up their mess! Why couldn’t they just use the door like everyone else? 

Has anyone else suffered at the hands of insects, this or any other summer? Comic/Serious/Other stories are all welcome Slight smile

Parents
  • We had a swarm of bees suddenly arrive and try to set up a new home in our house a few months ago - a quick blast of RAID persuaded them that they were not welcome.     It was all rather scary and surprisingly noisy.

• I’m glad that the blast of RAID did the trick! I remember a swarm of bees landing on the side of our house when I was a child, the local farmer had to come and collect them as they’d escaped from one of his hives! We can’t really put pesticides down because of litlun and the dog so I shall have to research organic pest control methods.

• I’m glad that the blast of RAID did the trick! I remember a swarm of bees landing on the side of our house when I was a child, the local farmer had to come and collect them as they’d escaped from one of his hives! We can’t really put pesticides down because of litlun and the dog so I shall have to research organic pest control methods.

Children
  • That would be a total nightmare having to rip the house us to locate bee hives! We get hornets Bee around here. We’ve had a nest in our loft before we moved in, a load of dead hornets fell out when we changed the bathroom lightbulb the other year! Luckily they didn’t land on anyone! Apparently hornets don’t nest in the same place twice so we should be safe! Though they are still in the band of trees behind our back garden so we have to be careful around evening time in the warm weather!

• I REALLY didn't want them finding a way into the house to set up a hive - my house has inaccessible void-spaces in the loft - I can't imagine ripping the house to bits to get access to them would be convenient or cheap to get a professional in.    A quick squirt of RAID and they moved on.