Bewilderment!

After a two year assessment period, my 10yo son was last week diagnosed with ASD. I was given a phone number to get booked into a ‘Post Diagnosis session’. Designed to help understand the diagnosis and find support etc in dealing with it. Wonderful. Except there are no sessions available until next year 

NEXT

YEAR

!!

is this a usual occurrence? We are in Kings Lynn, Norfolk. 

Exasperated is an understatement 

Parents
  • To those blaming the NHS:  Don't blame the NHS for the ridiculous waiting time - put the blame where it lies, with the government

• Crystal12, Sorry but I have to take issue with that. Yes, many NHS staff are amazing, and yes, with an every increasing demand they struggle to deliver everything to everyone, and yes over the years the government may have not kept funding up with demand, but apparently they are throwing money at them now, but consider this:

I have always had issues. over the past 25 years I have had counselling, have been put on various medications, from many GP appointments, I have not been good with my health due to my anxiety, which has probably contributed to some other demands and costs to the NHS. I have spent the past two and a half years battling with the NHS which I reckon has taken around 15 GP appointments, a course in anxiety, booked on CBT course, multiple reviews for funding and teams reviewing the possibility of assessment, running through an NHS complaint with lots of back and forth to get to the point where they would re-refer me with the information that should have been provided in the first place. My GP didn't fill in the funding paperwork correctly the first time, and then didn't pick up the reply. They didn't submit the required information for an assessment and again missed the reply explaining why it was dismissed.

If you add up all the NHS costs I reckon it would be around 100 times that necessary had they correctly identified, accepted and diagnosed my issues from day one. And after all that they gave me a response that I did not tick all the boxes so would not even give me an assessment. Went private, got an answer in two weeks. Job done.

To be honest I don't blame my GP, no matter how arrogant and dismissive he was with me (maybe I do really). I think he simply did not understand the condition or me. However, I do blame the NHS as an organisation for not being educated and equipped to deal with it efficiently. This is the problem with them. Yes, they need more money. They always will, but they need to spend that money wisely, which they certainly have not in my case.

Sorry for the rant, but they have really disappointed me with sheer incompetence and a lack of expertise, which I hoped of all organisations, I would have received from them.

• I take your point.  Money should always be spent wisely.  

Reply Children
No Data