Musings about Music

Is it an autistic thing to have a hugely varied taste in music, or do our tastes just diversify more as we get older? My own taste in music is very varied from heavy metal through 80's and 90's music to Trance music. For me it's not so much about the genre of the music but whether or not I like a particular song or the music to that song. Personally I like quite upbeat songs as opposed to the slower tracks, regardless of what type of music it is. What is other people's experience? What do you listen to? Do you tend to only listen to one category of music or do you prefer variety?

Parents
  • Ever since my early teens (I'm 43 now) I've listened to electronic music almost exclusively.  I started with Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream, etc. I moved through the early techno days and acid house, and still listen to some techno now - more the hypnotic, minimal styles though.  I got big into ambient music in my early twenties and now listen to that, dark ambient, drone music.  

I don't do pop/rock with a very few exceptions.  I probably have about 5-10 albums of music that features singing.  In context, I have around 1200 albums of electronic/ambient music.  So I'm very set in my ways with regards to what I listen to.  I have dabbled in other electronic genres - psy trance, dub techno, synth wave, etc.

Which doesn't help me in connecting with people.  I really don't like singing - partly owing to hearing issues, but I can't understand almost all of what people sing.  If I listen to a song like that, I absolutely MUST have the lyrics to follow along.  Even when I do like a song, it's more to do with the music and melody in the background than the talent of the singer themselves.

I'm very unconventional in my musical interests, I've only ever found two other people who like what I listen to - and one of them is my father... :/

• I shall listen to some of the types of music that you mention, to see what it is like. It seems like you’re the same as me in that it is more about the music than the lyrics per se.

• Which reminds me - this website is *fab* for exploring genres:

http://everynoise.com/

Reply Children
No Data