Musings about Music

Is it an autistic thing to have a hugely varied taste in music, or do our tastes just diversify more as we get older? My own taste in music is very varied from heavy metal through 80's and 90's music to Trance music. For me it's not so much about the genre of the music but whether or not I like a particular song or the music to that song. Personally I like quite upbeat songs as opposed to the slower tracks, regardless of what type of music it is. What is other people's experience? What do you listen to? Do you tend to only listen to one category of music or do you prefer variety?

Parents
  • What I think seems like an interesting theme across all genres is that no-one is saying "I like this for the lyrics"...

I like the beat, I love the physicality of the bass, the melody etc. etc. it's all the non-verbal components of music that we seems to love - which are exactly the parts of communication that we struggle with... aren't they?

We don't get the 'rhythm' of a conversation, so don't know when it's our 'turn' to speak

We don't pick up that tone of voice may convey a different message to the words themselves

We take words at their literal meaning and are confused, so song lyrics are no different - "She was just 17, you know what I mean?" Yes, you mean she was 17 years old? Wait... that's NOT what you mean? Oh, in that case WTF are you trying to say!?

That being said, with the songs that 'punch me in the gut' and cause me to weep involuntarily, it IS the lyrics - it's somehow like the music acts like a 'carrier wave' for the words and means they pierce my NA shell and hit me square in the 'empathy centre' that I try so hard to protect 'cos it gets so easily overloaded...

• Yes absolutely. As said ‘you need a bit of a hook in the music, something that grabs you’. I think there’s definitely something in the rhythm that draws us into a track. I also think that a lot of autistic people use certain tracks to stimulate their thoughts. 

Yeah, thinking about it, I would also take the lyrics to a song literally. It honestly hadn’t even occurred to me that there might be some other meaning Flushed

I think sometimes the most random things can cause us to cry whether it be lyrics or words or something that we see. Most of the time I don’t really feel but then suddenly something can really move me and make me feel so intensely! I ended up crying earlier because my daughter and her best friend (they’re 5) were singing the song from frozen together on a microphone at a birthday party!

• I think sometimes the most random things can cause us to cry

...Greetings, another one of my "just passing" Posts, as this Thread appears. What I quote there is Me allover, it is so very annoying... (!)

...But about Music, a little amusing tale for anyone. I do like Brass Band Music. But one day, I walked in front of a Square, with a Uniform-wearing  Brass Band, as they were warming up. Then they started playing. It must have been at least Nine Brass Instruments (Trumpets, Tubas, Trombones), together with Violins and whatnot. Then they started playing - all of them upon the same opening Note. I was, quite honestly deafened, panicked, and ran away like a startled Horse!

To close, I Myself like Rock Music (But not Heavy Metal), and Classical Music (But not slow or Choral). I would say that It is certainly nothing at all to do with Autism, or else so very many different types of Music would not exist in the first place.

• I think sometimes the most random things can cause us to cry

...Greetings, another one of my "just passing" Posts, as this Thread appears. What I quote there is Me allover, it is so very annoying... (!)

...But about Music, a little amusing tale for anyone. I do like Brass Band Music. But one day, I walked in front of a Square, with a Uniform-wearing  Brass Band, as they were warming up. Then they started playing. It must have been at least Nine Brass Instruments (Trumpets, Tubas, Trombones), together with Violins and whatnot. Then they started playing - all of them upon the same opening Note. I was, quite honestly deafened, panicked, and ran away like a startled Horse!

To close, I Myself like Rock Music (But not Heavy Metal), and Classical Music (But not slow or Choral). I would say that It is certainly nothing at all to do with Autism, or else so very many different types of Music would not exist in the first place.

Children
  • I’ve just been looking through this thread after answering a fresh post and realised your post here from months ago, which I had previously not replied to, please accept my apologies!

I imagine that a brass band all playing the same note all at once would be quite deafening!

What type of Rock Music do you like?