Musings about Music

Is it an autistic thing to have a hugely varied taste in music, or do our tastes just diversify more as we get older? My own taste in music is very varied from heavy metal through 80's and 90's music to Trance music. For me it's not so much about the genre of the music but whether or not I like a particular song or the music to that song. Personally I like quite upbeat songs as opposed to the slower tracks, regardless of what type of music it is. What is other people's experience? What do you listen to? Do you tend to only listen to one category of music or do you prefer variety?

Parents Reply Children
  • I hope that you’re assessment doesn’t drag on for too much longer and that you get a diagnosis soon. The assessment process at some centres does seem to take a really long time which must be quite anxiety inducing!? I do know what you mean about it being difficult to shift your brain once it gets stuck on something, mine does this too! 

• Well I had my first appointment recently just short of four hours long, and now I am just waiting for them to speak to my relative as they were unable to attend my assesment on that particular day I had it. Then once that has been done I will receive a call to arrange the next steps.

It's quite scary waiting because I feel I have an ASC but I'm not a professional so I may not?

I've been going on and on and on about it since I had my assesment and my wife has had enough of hearing about it but once some thing is in my head I find it hard to shift it away. Thankfully she knows what I'm like, I can dwell on things and worry alot unfortunately.

• That’s ok. How far along in the assessment process are you? Yeah I’m the same my favourite part of a song is the best and speed of a song. I mean it does help if the lyrics are decent too but ultimately for me, I wouldn’t bother to listen to a slow song with good lyrics whereas I probably would listen to a song with good upbeat music but not the greatest lyrics. The music comes first for me. If I’m at home and a decent song comes on then I’ll get up and start dancing (badly) to it, I just can’t help myself.

• Firstly I have to say I am not diagnosed with an ASD I am still in the middle of being assessed. But the thing I like most about a song is the beat and speed of a song. Plenty of times I'm sat at home or in the car and when I hear a song my hands or feet can take over and follow the beat I love following along to that.

What is your favourite part of a song may I ask?