Musings about Music

Is it an autistic thing to have a hugely varied taste in music, or do our tastes just diversify more as we get older? My own taste in music is very varied from heavy metal through 80's and 90's music to Trance music. For me it's not so much about the genre of the music but whether or not I like a particular song or the music to that song. Personally I like quite upbeat songs as opposed to the slower tracks, regardless of what type of music it is. What is other people's experience? What do you listen to? Do you tend to only listen to one category of music or do you prefer variety?

Parents
  • Slow songs are boring. You need a bit of a hook in music, something that grabs you.

I only like catchy music, my favourites are Bryan Adams and Elton John but I like thousands of songs by different artists. Usually though I only like one or two songs by each musician or band. I don't understand how many people follow lots of bands or musicians and like so many of their songs. I perceive it differently. For me, it seems each musician or band has 2-3 great hits they come out with and the rest is okay but doesn't hold up well to repeated listening.

I tend to like upbeat songs too like you. I like Only Love Can Set You Free by N-Trance and Rhythm of the Night by Corona and a few other songs I think are trance.

Ricky Gervais was in a band in the '80s called Seona Dancing. I'm fond of their song More to Lose. It's a romantic kind of sad but whimsical song.

Other favourite songs of mine:

Spiller - Groovejet

Phillip Oakey - Electric Dreams

Coldplay - A Sky Full of Stars

Nirvana - Dumb

Babybird - You're Gorgeous

Smashmouth - All Star

Jane Wiedlin - Rush Hour

Scott McKenzie - San Francisco

OMD - Enola Gay

Moby - Everloving

Depeche Mode - Just Can't Get Enough

Bon Jovi - Bed of Roses

Yazz - The Only Way is Up

Haircut 100 - Love Plus One

• Slow songs are boring. You need a bit of a hook in music, something that grabs you.

I only like catchy music, my favourites are Bryan Adams and Elton John but I like thousands of songs by different artists. Usually though I only like one or two songs by each musician or band. I don't understand how many people follow lots of bands or musicians and like so many of their songs. I perceive it differently. For me, it seems each musician or band has 2-3 great hits they come out with and the rest is okay but doesn't hold up well to repeated listening.

I tend to like upbeat songs too like you. I like Only Love Can Set You Free by N-Trance and Rhythm of the Night by Corona and a few other songs I think are trance.

Ricky Gervais was in a band in the '80s called Seona Dancing. I'm fond of their song More to Lose. It's a romantic kind of sad but whimsical song.

Other favourite songs of mine:

Spiller - Groovejet

Phillip Oakey - Electric Dreams

Coldplay - A Sky Full of Stars

Nirvana - Dumb

Babybird - You're Gorgeous

Smashmouth - All Star

Jane Wiedlin - Rush Hour

Scott McKenzie - San Francisco

OMD - Enola Gay

Moby - Everloving

Depeche Mode - Just Can't Get Enough

Bon Jovi - Bed of Roses

Yazz - The Only Way is Up

Haircut 100 - Love Plus One

Children
  • Yes! I completely agree with what you say about music! A song needs to have a decent rhythm to be good. Also, yeah, if I have a music album whether that is music by one artist or by a selection of artists, then I can guarantee that there will only be a handful of those songs that I will actually like and listen to again. I would listen to most of the songs that you posted. For the past couple of days I've had a compilation album playing in my car stereo where the only decent songs on the album (according to me) are Toni Braxton: Unbreak my Heart; Jennifer Lopez: Waiting for Tonight; Berri: The Sunshine after the Rain and Real McCoy: Another Night. The CD will change once I get completely bored of playing those on repeat! Who knows what the next CD will be!