why do people come and go?

I sometimes use the "search" function to look up some questions I have to see if someone in the past has already ask similar questions. And when I look at past posts, like posts that were 6 years old, the people who were actively replying to posts back then (e.g., having many posts/replies and top contributor), pretty much all of them are not actively posting now. Actually, it doesn't even have to be that long, a lot of people who were active 3 years ago are not active now. So I'm curious, what causes people to leave? Is it because they got what they needed (e.g., originally needing advice on how to get a diagnosis and then they got one)? Or is it because they get bored of having to answer the same questions over and over for so long? Or is it because they had some bad experience here? Or is it because they later got a negative diagnosis and felt they don't belong? Or is it because they got too busy in life (e.g., work, family, friends, and other demands)? Or is it because they realised that they like the forum too much that they are spending too much time on it and should take a break? Or is it because they found a different ASD group (e.g., more local, more focused)? Or because they moved to a different country?

Do you think you will still be on this forum 5 years later?

Parents
  • Probably all of the reasons you mentioned. I also think it is the quality of conversation and its ability to grow, stay relevant as people evolve. I am sure there is a potential for long lasting community relevant to people at various stages, but it needs to be managed and maintained. I think Facebook had some role in it as well. There are a number of closed groups. But I don't know enough, I am not on fb.

Does anyone know what is happening on fb?

• I've joined a bunch of closed groups on FB... and then left them...

• usually very 'niche'
    • often quite depressing and/or 'ranty'
    • not a lot that was useful
    • 'spammed' my FB feed and stopped me seeing updates I was actually interested in

I wasn't really getting any 'value' out of them... ymmv...

• Hmm... interesting, I've never joined an autism FB group before

I don't usually join groups that aren't school/work-related, so I only get a few (like 3~5) notifications a day, and the ones I get are often relevant. For example, when I was doing my undergraduate, the department had a FB group, which was quite helpful in learning about new events and opportunities. 

And I never read every single post on the news feed, so I don't feel the stream of updates were too much - and the ones that come up on top are usually selected by some algorithm so that posts with lots of likes and those from close friends come up first. Also groups that I haven't used for a while don't turn up in the notifications unless it's important. 

• Hmm... interesting, I've never joined an autism FB group before

I don't usually join groups that aren't school/work-related, so I only get a few (like 3~5) notifications a day, and the ones I get are often relevant. For example, when I was doing my undergraduate, the department had a FB group, which was quite helpful in learning about new events and opportunities. 

And I never read every single post on the news feed, so I don't feel the stream of updates were too much - and the ones that come up on top are usually selected by some algorithm so that posts with lots of likes and those from close friends come up first. Also groups that I haven't used for a while don't turn up in the notifications unless it's important. 

Children