Electronic planner for 10yr old??

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a suitable mobile phone that has a really good planner/organiser and music, that might be suitable for my son. He is 10, AS and I think he might find it really useful. Don't want to spend big bucks, and the latest iPhone would be overkill...

Suggestions??

Thanks x

Parents
  • Just wanted to add a few thoughts from my experience..

Android is the way to go. Its a completely open format, which allows developers to create anything they like, unlike an apple product which is designed to be used how they want you to use it.

Anyone can put a product on the Google market place, on the Apple market you cannot. Also there is a lot more free things on the Google Market.

have a look here  https://play.google.com/store

I have a 2 year, budget smart phone, but due to the nature of Android I have the very latest version of the OS. This is because some polish 16 year old keeps releasing updates for it! Laughing

Apple stuff is over priced by miles, its for trendy people, or people that don’t really know what they want so just get what everyone else has. A lot of these amazing "new" features on the latest Iphone have been around on android for a long time now.

Windows mobile is good though and can sync well with other Microsoft products. With their latest version they are going more of an apple route and becoming more restrictive as to what you can do with it which is a real shame.

Ok so to answers your questions about features. (Android Specific)

planner/organiser:

There are hundreds of free ones to choose from. I am aware of this one which is supposed to be very good 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.enginyapici.everything&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5lbmdpbnlhcGljaS5ldmVyeXRoaW5nIl0.

Music

Again, there are hundreds of free ones to choose from, some of my favourites are:

winamp - good mp3 player

Jango - personal internet radio. You tell it the name of a band you like, it plays music similar and you can vote if you like it or not

Audiogalaxy - I can play all my music on my phone directly from my home PC no matter where I am over the internet.

If he is into Itunes you can get an app called DoubleTwist Player which can sync with Itunes on a computer. Though itunes is a very poor piece of software and I would avoid it.

I bought my phone second hand a year ago for £40 and ok, its not the fastest phone now, but it still does everything I would want it to do and it runs all the latest apps.

For you Scorpion, look at this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wWindowsLiveMobileApp&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS53V2luZG93c0xpdmVNb2JpbGVBcHAiXQ.. another free app that does exactly what you want I believe.

There is a lot of choice with Android phones. If you would like an help on selecting which one just ask. I would avoid the very first few models of HTC phones as the screen resolution is really low and looks a bit rubbish.

An LG 2X P990 - Is a great phone, over twice as powerful as mine and it would last years before needing to be changed. It even has an HD video recorder! Second hand price is about £100. There are other models around, you can get my phone for about £20 now. I suppose it depends on if you want something just for now, or something that will last for a few years.

• Just wanted to add a few thoughts from my experience..

Android is the way to go. Its a completely open format, which allows developers to create anything they like, unlike an apple product which is designed to be used how they want you to use it.

Anyone can put a product on the Google market place, on the Apple market you cannot. Also there is a lot more free things on the Google Market.

have a look here  https://play.google.com/store

I have a 2 year, budget smart phone, but due to the nature of Android I have the very latest version of the OS. This is because some polish 16 year old keeps releasing updates for it! Laughing

Apple stuff is over priced by miles, its for trendy people, or people that don’t really know what they want so just get what everyone else has. A lot of these amazing "new" features on the latest Iphone have been around on android for a long time now.

Windows mobile is good though and can sync well with other Microsoft products. With their latest version they are going more of an apple route and becoming more restrictive as to what you can do with it which is a real shame.

Ok so to answers your questions about features. (Android Specific)

planner/organiser:

There are hundreds of free ones to choose from. I am aware of this one which is supposed to be very good 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.enginyapici.everything&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5lbmdpbnlhcGljaS5ldmVyeXRoaW5nIl0.

Music

Again, there are hundreds of free ones to choose from, some of my favourites are:

winamp - good mp3 player

Jango - personal internet radio. You tell it the name of a band you like, it plays music similar and you can vote if you like it or not

Audiogalaxy - I can play all my music on my phone directly from my home PC no matter where I am over the internet.

If he is into Itunes you can get an app called DoubleTwist Player which can sync with Itunes on a computer. Though itunes is a very poor piece of software and I would avoid it.

I bought my phone second hand a year ago for £40 and ok, its not the fastest phone now, but it still does everything I would want it to do and it runs all the latest apps.

For you Scorpion, look at this https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wWindowsLiveMobileApp&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS53V2luZG93c0xpdmVNb2JpbGVBcHAiXQ.. another free app that does exactly what you want I believe.

There is a lot of choice with Android phones. If you would like an help on selecting which one just ask. I would avoid the very first few models of HTC phones as the screen resolution is really low and looks a bit rubbish.

An LG 2X P990 - Is a great phone, over twice as powerful as mine and it would last years before needing to be changed. It even has an HD video recorder! Second hand price is about £100. There are other models around, you can get my phone for about £20 now. I suppose it depends on if you want something just for now, or something that will last for a few years.

Children
No Data