Aspergers and Blackmail

Please excuse me for not fully understanding Autism to the fullest it's rather a new world to me. I am not on the spectrum (please forgive me If anything i say comes across as offensive its not my intention) 

Are people with aspergers understanding on the concept of blackmail, ie can they actively do it out of malious, with the intent of causing emotional distress/harm or do they not fully understand it and find themselves in a situation.

Parents
  • Thank you for everyone's responses, 

It has been really insightful, from an outsiders perspective having extremely limited knowledge of autism I hope I have not often anyone at all in my search for a better understanding.

I honestly believe this persons original sentence including a lengthy time on the sex offenders register (although I do disagree somewhat with this) should of without a doubt br a reasonable punishment for them to understand what they had done was wrong but also some form of help and support to help "rehabilitate" them. Despite not being handled correctly in the first place with no solictor present, no one to sit in with them and understand the process for them, and no medical assessment to check they were fit to interview just immediate questioning where they have admitted to everything without any actual thought, for them to then go to a magistrates court with no solictor with pleading guilty to everything kind of mindset, be passed onto crown court which is when I forced then to get a solicitor (unfortunately they had as much knowledge of autism as me.)

I'm also saddened to find out recently that one of the people responsible for the sentence increase meaning an immediate custodial is a parliamentary member of NAS and has completely vilified them as a monster and danger to society causing a lot of hurtful comments within our immediate community. 

It's awful to think what this person might be going through, I'm by no means suggesting what they have done should be forgotten about and that the victim will no doubt have suffered emotional distress from the "experience" for want of a better word. I just believe other and better alternatives of punishment to assist both sides should of been put forward. 

The person I met in last year does not sound like the same person almost 3 years ago when this offence took place. 

• 'The person I met in last year does not sound like the same person almost 3 years ago when this offence took place. '

Yes, they ARE the same person and if they have done it once they may do it again.

Listen to what they are telling you.

Reply Children
No Data