what kind of work do people do?

I'm quite curious what kind of work do people here do? I've seen from some comments in other threads that there are social workers and teachers out there. The stereotypical autism job is computer programmer, which I think is really cool and requires lots of talent. There are also students on this forum (I'd be interested to know what you're studying). 

Also, what jobs do you think are well-suited for the autistic personality?

Parents
  • I would have been a classical musician if I could have got through the interview process. Auditions (playing) are fine. Interviews terrify me!!!! 

Now I play and share music mainly on a voluntary basis. I keeps me far saner than I otherwise would be and I have my place in the ensemble. I also teach a little on a voluntary basis (music) and help older people with ‘basic’ technology like tablets and smart phones. Jill of all trades, master of none. 

I am from a family of computer experts, chartered and other engineers, an inventor, a decoder etc etc. Whatever happened in my case?!!!

• I would have been a classical musician if I could have got through the interview process. Auditions (playing) are fine. Interviews terrify me!!!! 

Now I play and share music mainly on a voluntary basis. I keeps me far saner than I otherwise would be and I have my place in the ensemble. I also teach a little on a voluntary basis (music) and help older people with ‘basic’ technology like tablets and smart phones. Jill of all trades, master of none. 

I am from a family of computer experts, chartered and other engineers, an inventor, a decoder etc etc. Whatever happened in my case?!!!

Children