Suggestions for portraying autism in a short film

Hello, I'm currently in the early stages of producing a short drama film. One character who is on the sprectrum. He has been written with the assumption in mine that he is hight functioning, but lacks in verbal skills. Im writing this post for a few suggestion on the portrayal of this character and some advice on how to accurately display autism on screen. Any feedback or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. 

Synopsis:

Aaron a young man on the autism spectrum is trapped inside his apartment lift, with a stranger who is terrified of small spaces. Both are frightened of the situation. However, both cope in there own unique ways with the predicament. Despite Aarons social awkwardness, he tries to handle the situation as best as he can but his efforts result in a panic attack. With only the aid of a stranger who doesn’t understand his condition.

I myself am on the spectrum. I have Aspergers syndrome and have written the script with my own behaviours in mind. If anyone wants to read the script, I don't mind sharing. Once again I appreciate any suggestions here. 

Many thanks in advance. 

Joe

Parents
  • Just create.a.character you want, for whatever situation you want, behaving in any way you want, thinking the things you want and leave it to the audience to decide.

No mention of being autistic, just other peoples observations and reactions.  And that would be a realistic portrayal of how I am.

Or just have a group of Mr Spock, Mr Data, Dr Sheldon Cooper, Sherlock Holmes, Dr Who, Doc Martin, etc discussing life, the universe and everything. And getting the answer 42

• Or just have a group of Mr Spock, Mr Data, Dr Sheldon Cooper,, Sherlock Holmes, Dr Who, Doc Martin, etc discussing life, the universe and everything. And getting the answer 42

That is the point. Film portrayals do nothing but perpetuate unhelpful stereotypes.

Now autistic people want to perpetuate NT stereotypes about them, what's new?

Would be refreshing putting in film something from the autistic perspective, based on double empathy problem. Putting double empathy problem in the spotlight.

• Or just have a group of Mr Spock, Mr Data, Dr Sheldon Cooper,, Sherlock Holmes, Dr Who, Doc Martin, etc discussing life, the universe and everything. And getting the answer 42

That is the point. Film portrayals do nothing but perpetuate unhelpful stereotypes.

Now autistic people want to perpetuate NT stereotypes about them, what's new?

Would be refreshing putting in film something from the autistic perspective, based on double empathy problem. Putting double empathy problem in the spotlight.

Children