What must we do to change things?

So I recently stumbled across this article that really resonated with me - https://aeon.co/essays/the-autistic-view-of-the-world-is-not-the-neurotypical-cliche

It describes to negative connotations and stereotypes associated with autism and covers controversial areas, such as how autistic people lack empathy, are unable to love etc.

The scope of the article highlights how autistic people are observed and judged by neurotypicals and explains how their perceptions and prejudices are based on their own perspectives and experiences.

This may sound harsh and divisive at first, but there is a valid point throughout that due to our minority status, we rarely have a voice to explains ourselves and  although I confess I could never fully understand something from a neurotypical perspective, at the same time I wouldn't expect a neurotypical to fully understand something from a neurodiverse perspective either.

What is depressing for me, is that despite that insight into each other worlds, so to speak, clearly lacking on some parts, it is the autistic person who us at fault and not a problem shared by both parties.

I shared this article with my partner and his response was, when are you going to accept life is unfair and you just have to get on with it.  Of course he wants to crack on with things because it doesn't affect him!  I gave the example of how it would appear should you swap the autistic person with someone who is homosexual or black - he didn't think the same thing applied and so this is why this article is so relevant for out times.

I don't want a NT and ND division, so how do we come to understand each other better?

Parents
  • Many thanks for the link to this article, Starbuck. It’s amazingly close to my own thoughts! After reading all the comments, including BlueRay’s, I thought I’d better actually read it myself. I am so glad I did, but appreciate how complex it could be particularly to those who haven’t yet tried to write from a point of view outside their own experience. I have struggled with this aspect for so long, yet never had the words to convey what exactly it is. I realise I cannot write as if I am someone else at all! If I was to write a romantic novel, the majority would not know what to make of it, for instance! I do wonder now if my viewpoint is neurodiverse rather than just “odd”. 

• I like the analogy of culture shock to try to explain what it's like to live with an autistic view of the world.  I try to tell people to imagine how it would be to wake up one morning and find yourself in a foreign country, with no understanding of the language, culture and customs, and no one to help or guide you.  How would you greet people?  Conduct yourself in a public place?  Order a meal?  How would you explain to people that you found their fabrics uncomfortable, their voices too loud, etc?  Especially if using the usual sign language of putting your hands over your ears and shutting your eyes was seen in that country as a gross insult?

• It's nice to see that this article has resonated with others as well - I would like to contribute to this conversion further, but I have had a rough day and I am recovering from a seizure.

I think making NTs experience things from our perspective could be a start like the VR experience videos, but I think it would help if people could interact with a simulation rather than watching a video as it still allows the viewer to observe more than interact and experience.  This could be a good start, but again because NT experience things differently, it still might not convey everyday life that we experience as it is too individual and still requires theory of mind - which as discussed earlier, seems to be lacking on both sides to varying degrees.

I would definitely like to experience a NT simulation!

That's all I can muster for now.

• It's nice to see that this article has resonated with others as well - I would like to contribute to this conversion further, but I have had a rough day and I am recovering from a seizure.

I think making NTs experience things from our perspective could be a start like the VR experience videos, but I think it would help if people could interact with a simulation rather than watching a video as it still allows the viewer to observe more than interact and experience.  This could be a good start, but again because NT experience things differently, it still might not convey everyday life that we experience as it is too individual and still requires theory of mind - which as discussed earlier, seems to be lacking on both sides to varying degrees.

I would definitely like to experience a NT simulation!

That's all I can muster for now.

Children
  • I would like to experience a simulation of NT experience too, but really think that would be impossible! We are indeed all individual. I think I will just make the most of being ‘me’ for the rest of my life. I do hope you feel stronger soon, Starbuck.