How can my autistic children's group become a part-time job for me? [advice please]

Hi,

I'd be very interested in honest(!) feedback and ideas about the project which I'm running for autistic children. At the moment, it a voluntary weekend activity for me but I'm wondering if it can become a part-time job.

Last September, I set up "Engine Shed - South London" (www.engineshedlondon.com) which is a special interest group for autistic children and young people who like trains. They can design, build and play with our huge collection of Brio, Tomy and Hornby trains in a welcoming, safe and relaxing environment. They remain engaged for up to 2 hours, working alongside other autistic children with very little adult involvement, although their parents/carers are there.

We have up to 20 children at each weekend session, aged 3 to 13, and the adults enjoy the opportunity to talk without worrying about their children's behaviour being judged. The children can just be themselves and do what they want - we have teenagers playing with Brio and "Thomas the Tank Engine". We judge their happiness by the levels of stimming, vocalising and running around the room! The children are having fun, as well as developing social and communication skills as they work together. 

We currently run weekend open days and events in school holidays. I'm getting really positive feedback from parents and autism professionals who have attended our events. However, I've got 12 huge boxes of trains which only get used once or twice a month. I know there is huge demand for our activities in other locations, but I've only got so much time I can give as a volunteer. I need to look at ways to generate some income.

To make this a part-time job, I need to develop some *daytime* activities which would bring in income. This could help to subsidise the weekend activities. Donations from parents are currently our only source of income (usually £5 per child), which cover venue hire and wear and tear on the trains. 

Any feedback/ideas would be much appreciated. 

Richard
www.engineshedlondon.com

• Unfortunately you need to be a registered charity/business (which is 2/3 years down the line for me) to get contracts from the council, and they don't have much money to spare for extra things which they aren't currently providing.

• Thumbsup tone3 Phone’s about to die and I’m going for a walk so I’ll put the phone on charge and if I get chance to reply before I go, I will, if not,  I’ll reply when I get back. I won’t be long Relaxed

• I've replied to your message.

Strange this forum doesn't seem to send notifications about messages!

• Hi Richard, I’ve just sent you a message - I think - hopefully it’s worked 

• I’m sooooooooo glad you said ‘yet’ because I know you can do this and yes, it would be great to see you up here :) 

• Yorkshire - my old home!! If he gets in touch, I might have to make trip back up north .,.

Yes, the job satisfaction from this project is huge. It's frustrating that more people can't enjoy it ... yet. Removing most of the social and environmental pressures gives them a chance to be themselves. Thanks for all your comments. - Richard

• The youth club is in South Yorkshire and like I said, I’ve never actually been but I know my friend values it, a lot. She pays for her son to go on all the trips they put on because  she knows he’s in really good hands and he loves it and has come on in leaps and bounds in terms of self confidence since he’s been going there.  And I think it was relatively recent that he turned it into his business so he should have some good tips and info for you. 

My friend’s kid, is not an easy kid to engage but they do a really great job with him.

I’ve messaged my friend, I’ll let you know when she gets back to me. I think it might have been a bit early when I messaged her See no evil she’ll tell me off for that. I forget that other people are generally sleeping when I’m awake in the wee hours of the morning, but she will get back to me. 

You can easily make a living out of this. I’m sure that like me, and these guys, you’re not after making millions and the job satisfaction and the kids (and parents) happiness will be the most rewarding thing about it but you can definitely make enough money to live comfortably. 

I’m excited for you and can’t wait till she gets back to me. 

• Hi BlueRay - I'd be very interested in getting in touch with the youth club. Would be great to find out more. Where is this youth club?

The best email address for me is engineshedlondon@gmail.com

Richard

• Thanks "Raindrops".

That's an idea I'm been working on - to run sessions for non-autistic/special needs children during the week., which would subsidise the weekend activities. Maybe I can link in with one of the local amazing cake bakers who advertise on our local Facebook parents group.

Training/workshops for schools is also an idea, but ir's difficult to contact the right people (with money to spend).

Thanks for the ideas. More thinking required ...

• This is fabulous Richard and it sounds like so much fun. 

I haven’t got any tips but my friend takes her son to a youth club once a week, for autistic kids, and he also goes on day trips and short holidays with the group now, as well.

The group started out as a once a week voluntary thing but it soon grew in popularity and the guy who runs it, has turned it into a business now which pays his way and hence why they now have holidays and day trips. 

I’ve never met the guy but I’ll get in touch with my friend and ask her to ask if she can either pass his contact details on to you or pass yours on to him and ask if he can help, I’m sure he can. 

This is a great idea. I also lived in a community in Australia a couple of years ago and one of the families living there had built up a business that started off as a voluntary thing. They’re a theatre group working with what they call, extra special kids, mostly kids on the spectrum. And they turned it into a business and they now go to different schools etc giving performances and they’ve even been to the U.K. and are coming back again at some point. When I was living there they had delivered their new massive bus, to take the kids all over. It was a great day when the bus got delivered, with all the sign writing on it which delighted me, every time I saw it, as it says, for extra special kids Relaxed

• Open up to mums and toddlers during the week. Serve tea and cake and the money will come rolling in !

You could also offer a workshop to schools or nurseries.

• Could you apply for funding from the council as an outreach project?  If you're providing a popular sevice to the disabled community, they miight throw a couple of quid at you.  May not be a fortune, but it might help. 

• Yes, doing basic maths on this doesn't add up a lot the moment. However, as I struggle with "normal" jobs, I'm trying to find a way to run my own business and make this work. I may have to mix and match with other things. Sob

• Brilliant - it's great that you are able to do this.

I'm not sure it will form a business opportunity because of the maths.

I work backwards from the total salary you'd want & costs of running it added together - and then divide it across a year to work out how much you'd need to charge and how much you'd need to generate every month.

Then you'd have to estimate how many people would be interested in paying regularly all year for your services.  Also, kids grow up so there'll be those that leave and you've got to get new customers in.

It sounds like a lovely thing to do - maybe you could try running it during the summer holidays to gauge the interest.

Also - would any preserved railways near you provide a permanent space for you - it may bring extra money in for them.