Starting an Aspergers/ASD online group for my local area

So, after mulling it over for some time I have decided that I am going to go ahead and start up a facebook group for people with Aspergers/ASD in my area :-) Partly because I need this service and partly because I believe that the area that I live in needs this service. I'm starting the planning part of this now so I'm working on that in-between posting on here. Any advice or ideas from you guys is of course most welcome.....

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi Alice, there are already a number of nationwide facebook groups for people with Aspergers/ASD. Have you tried 'British women with Aspergers UK connect group'? I'm a member and I would recommend it. Or there are some good groups on this website:

http://www.myspectrumsuite.com/autism-facebook-online-community-groups/

I'm starting my own location specific facebook group to try to connect with other people with Aspergers both online and also with a view to meeting up in person for social outings if others were amenable to that idea. For me, online contact is good but I would also like to make friends that I can meet up with etc. My previous posts on this matter, detailed how despite this town having a population of nearly 130,000, the only support for people with Aspergers in one social group that meets once a month on a day that I can't do. There is a facebook group for members of that group but I feel that there must be others like myself that can't make the once per month social group and therefore can't be part of the Aspergers social 'club' in this town. This facebook group is my way of doing something about that. As I am hoping that the group would be able to do social outings together it is necessary that members are close geographically. Have you ever thought about starting up a similar group in London?