Autistic dog

Looking for advice. I have an 8yr old dog that is potentially autistic and looking for advice. She's lovely and friendly, but sometimes I worry.

She seems to be under sensitive to touch, and needs constant stroking. However, this brings on a severe tail stimming episode.

She's over sensitive to sounds and doesn't like fireworks.

She never licks people - not even her lord and master! (That's me)

She can't feed herself. I have given her a tin of dog food yet she waits for me to open it.

She can't got to familiar places without supervision as she can't safely cross the road.

Socially, she is friendly but struggles to make friends. She wants to play with every animal but they run away laughing at her :( for example, we have a cat that hides and runs away when she sees her.)

She is socially unaware of certain behaviorus. She will happily fart in a room full of people and not be bothered. She has also eaten a full meal, then the contents of the cat litter tray, then puked, eaten the puke and puked again before walking off and leaving me to clean up - with guests.

Is there a test I can do? I think she qualifies for PIP but not sure what to do there Disappointed

Happy Monday Smiley

Parents
  • She seems to be under sensitive to touch, and needs constant stroking. However, this brings on a severe tail stimming episode.

Pet dogs do enjoy being stroked. When you say tail stimming, do you mean tail wagging? Dogs wag their tails when they are happy. 

She's over sensitive to sounds and doesn't like fireworks.

This is very common in dogs. Many dog owners can tell you that. 

There are ways to help dogs dealing with fireworks, you can google to find some information. There also this https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/dog-spies/good-and-bad-ways-to-help-a-dog-afraid-of-fireworks/

She can't feed herself. I have given her a tin of dog food yet she waits for me to open it.

Um? Are you saying that she can't open a tin, or that she can't feed herself after you've emptied the contents of the tin into her bowl? Normally dogs can't open tins by themselves as they don't have thumbs. If she needs feeding, like spooning into the mouth, that is quite unusual.

She can't got to familiar places without supervision as she can't safely cross the road.

It's the same with my dog. But she's a small sized dog, so it's harder to see traffic. And all dogs are colour-blind so they won't be able to tell apart the green and red lights.

Socially, she is friendly but struggles to make friends. She wants to play with every animal but they run away laughing at her :( for example, we have a cat that hides and runs away when she sees her.)

Well, dogs and cats are two different species. And stereotypically they are enemies. 
    This website might be helpful. It gives some reasons why they might not get along "the biggest problems are related to specific compatibility issues where the dog is too playful and the cat is too fearful, or the dog has a strong chase - or even predatory - drive. Also a cat that is fearful and aggressive and a dog that does not know how to react." But it also gives some suggestions on how to help them learn to get along https://www.petsit.com/dogs-and-cats-learning-to-get-along

She is socially unaware of certain behaviorus. She will happily fart in a room full of people and not be bothered. She has also eaten a full meal, then the contents of the cat litter tray, then puked, eaten the puke and puked again before walking off and leaving me to clean up - with guests.

It is common for dogs to fart in a room or puke in front of people without being socially aware. It's a dog. It's IQ is probably like a 2 year old toddler, or maybe even lower. You wouldn't expect a pet mouse to know where and where not to drop their faeces, right?
    You should train it to not eat cat litter though - it's not healthy. Whenever it attempts to do so, you should try to prevent it, like carry her away. 

• I’ve read the post through twice and I’m pretty sure it’s a joke. At least I hope it is!!

Reply Children