'Having Asperger's has given me a different view of the world and I'd never wish it away'

Gary Numan on having Asperger's...

Gary Numan

...and a song about feeling safe in an enclosed space...

Cars Live

Parents Reply Children
  • I don't like crowds especially but I can tolerate them if it's for a purpose and I'm focused on something such as watching a concert. I guess in an Arena the crowd is relatively organised as there's seating so you're not being jostled and crashed into too much. I think I might struggle with being stuck in the mosh pit at Glastonbury though!

• Mind you, I really don't like crowds.  I'd never cope with something like Glastonbury Festival.  I don't like theme parks either, for the same reason.

• Oh no! You must have been absolutely gutted that you missed the opportunity to see him when he first started out! I’ve done the same thing myself with a band that was just starting out many years ago, they were playing as part of a line up at alton towers, but I didn’t bother to go and watch, I was too busy going on all the rides! Then about a year or so later they made it really big and became my teenage obsession. I was so annoyed with myself that I hadn’t gone to watch them when they were playing a small gig at Alton towers, I did go to one of their concerts though at Wembley arena.

• He was playing at a local theatre back in 1979, when he was just really starting.  I could have gone to that gig... but I didn't.

Always kicked myself for that!

• It’s good. Thank you. I just played both tracks to my husband and apparently we’re going to watch Gary Numan when he next tours (He’s liked Gary’s music since he was 9 years old). Does he still tour? Have you ever been to one of his concerts?

• Another good one, live with NIN...

Metal

• I like both.  I remember when it first came out back in 1978 or 1979.  I was taken by it.

I've always liked his music over the years.

This is my favourite version of possibly my favourite Numan song.  Great dramatic build...

My Jesus