Weighted back pack for adults - Autistic equipment

Hi.

I am an occupational therapy student who is looking at developing a weighted back pack for adults with autism. I have noticed in the market that there are little tools and equipment for adults with ASD. Little research has been conducted which is very interesting. Would you feel a weighted back pack would be helpful for you? Whether its to help you remain calm in anxiety provoking situations? Whether a weighted backpack can assisted you with your gait (walking) and posture?

We are aiming to have a range of back packs with different weights in each. The recommendation for children is 10% of their weight should be added to the equipment. Therefore we will have 5/6 different back packs with different weight. Our target audience is adults with autism who are attending university, but overall the backpack will look professional and 'mainstream' meaning that anyone can wear them.

I would love to hear your opinion.

Parents
  • Hi there.  I don't leave the house without a backpack and I do find it helps with my anxiety.  My backpack tends to be heavy without adding additional weight, as I often carry more than I probably need to be prepared for potential situations and events.  The downside to this is that carrying too much weight does exhaust me and deplete my energy levels quickly, so I have to be careful and try and avoid this.

• Thank you so much for writting back to me. This has really helped and given me a good insight into the struggles involved. Do you think that if your backpack already had the comfortable amount of weight you would still fill it?

• Thank you so much for writting back to me. This has really helped and given me a good insight into the struggles involved. Do you think that if your backpack already had the comfortable amount of weight you would still fill it?

Children
  • oh god @Starbuck I've just accidentally reported your post as abusive - I've cancelled it so hope no consequences. I wish they'd build an app, the website is so hard to use on mobile! I was trying to edit my reply to say I hate carrying things in my hands too!

• Yes, I carry a ton of weight in my backpack - but it's not the weight that comforts me, it's feeling that I have everything I might need.

I use ospreys, I have a deiter for work but prefer the tech of ospreys.

My everyday backpack is usually a good 10 kg already, really - no more weight needed :D

• Most probably yes.  As a bare minimum I have to carry my wallet, phone, sunglasses, chewing gum, ear plus, fidget aid, small snack and keys.  In the summer months I will also carry a bottle of water.  If I am out shopping then I prefer to carry things on my back, rather than in my hands, so usually this is where my backpack is filled up in addition to the minimum items above.  It probably isn't great for my back, but I find it much more comfortable than carrying heavy shopping bags - in fact I use a pull along trolley when carrying lots of items.