Does anyone else have difficulties posting photos on here?

Hi all, I’ve just failed miserably at my 3rd attempt at posting photos on this forum. When I write a post containing photos, it either point blank refuses to post or appears to post but then disappears completely straight away! Is anyone else having difficulties posting photos on here? Does anyone have a solution? Thanx in advance.

• Thank you for the technical info. I shall have to have a go at down sizing some pictures

• There are lots of online tools that will resize (and in some cases crop) images for you, if you don't have software to do it. People here may have recommendations amongst that list.

The core problem is that cameras (including in phones) have ever-higher resolutions but if, in the end, you're just displaying the pictures on a typical screen, you don't have the resolution on that device to make real use of the "better" pictures. You need to be printing them 2 metres by 3 and hanging them on your wall! And because it's effectively a pixel area, halving the width and the height reduces the photo to about a quarter of its previous size.

If you upload it full size, everyone else's browsers have to download it full size (slow!!!) and then the browsers themselves have to size it down to fit the space in the page (slow as well - a double whammy!!!) There's a pictures thread on this site - imagine how long that would take to view with a string of "full-size" pictures. So, your picture has to be shrunk for the benefit of everyone else.

To get pictures really small, you can also "Web optimise" them. That's a bit harder to get your head round, but the sort of idea is this. The JPG format is capable of coping with a very large number of colours. That makes for better pictures, because you can have such gradual shades of red and so on. However, unless your picture actually uses all the possible colours (which is wildly improbable) you can remove the capability to handle the colours that aren't actually there anyway, and save some space that way, even for the same pixel size. That's the rough idea, anyway. And/or sacrifice some other quality factors to a level that's not generally noticeable to the human eye. Overdo it and the eye does start to notice, but again, the win is a faster page load for everyone else.

A few forums will resize a picture for you when you upload it, and store something that is actually much smaller than you provided. Most, however, have size limits.

Hope this helps.

• Thank you. I'll have a go at this

• Thank you. I shall try this advice as I am still having no luck posting photos

• Well the flowers I just posted are:

2816 X 2112 pixels

789kB

There are two ways to get under the 1MB limit.

1. Reduce the resolution by changing the number of pixels.
    2. Increase the jpeg compression level, so reducing the image quality.

• Greetings. The Best advice is as Mr. 'Robert123' says, Of course. ..With a bit more from m'self, here:

Under 1MB in size.

Under 800 x 800 Pixels.

Must be JPEG ( jpeg, Jpeg, jpg, JPG, etc.) in Format.

...Also if you can, "Flatten" the image, or just run it through a lot of different Formats and/or Saves. It may be hit and miss to see what works, though. Also, try SCREENSHOTS and doing all of that same with those. Good Luck!

• Thank you. I’ll have to look at the MB of my photos before I next try posting them

• I have often had problems posting photos.  

I persevere until it works.

Photos have to be under 1MB in size.

I load the photo and wait until the reply button is highlighted. Then press it.