Favourite Castles, Abbeys, Priories, and Friaries

Inspired by an off-the-cuff remark I made in another thread, I thought I would actually start this thread off.

Please share your favourite castle (or Mediaeval Abbey, Friary, or Priory), if possible with a picture and saying a little bit about it.

I will kick off with Corfe Castle.  A picturesque ruin in Dorset (belonging to the National Trust),  and as a bonus can be reached by steam train from Swanage with one of the finest 'railway views' in Britain!  A good view from the castle as well

Parents
  • This is Butley Priory in Suffolk. The only building that remains of the Priory is this 12th century Gothic gatehouse. It has really beautiful flint work, with vaulted ceilings inside. 

We discovered Butley Priory when it was featured on the Hotel Inspector. We stayed one weekend, got engaged, then went back and got married.  

• This is Butley Priory in Suffolk. The only building that remains of the Priory is this 12th century Gothic gatehouse. It has really beautiful flint work, with vaulted ceilings inside. 

We discovered Butley Priory when it was featured on the Hotel Inspector. We stayed one weekend, got engaged, then went back and got married.  

Children