Mishear & Misread

Does anyone else suffer from my problems?

Where I mishear or misread something.

The latest incident is a BBC website  article, where I initially read.

Call to exclude pupils with ASD.

It actually read.

Call to test excluded pupils for ADHD.

Very different!

I often watch DVDs with subtitles.  And when I'm unsure of what was said or written I rewind and listen/read again.  And the second time round it's different.

Parents
  • Yes,

my reading was once described by a teacher as "glance and guess", mostly context and the words around mean that the guess is pretty good. It is when the phrase is short and the letters can be used to form a range of possible words things can get tricky.

Potentially the most inappropriate and embarrassing example that springs to mind followed the attack on Charlie Hebdo, when I initially read the "Je suis Charlie" signs as Jesus Charlie. Thankfully hearing the news reports and a slow realisation that signs in France would be in French triggered a late recognition.

I imagine that the problem is more wide spread than you think and not only limited to the autistic, While attending a Romanian Orthodox Christmas service, the priest was kind enough to repeat part of the service in English, and I was able to hear of the gifts of Gold, Frankenstein and Myrrh.  As i speak no Romanian I am grateful for the priest's kindness in giving the Gospel reading in both languages  but his misreading has stayed with me. (my wife is Romanian)

As for mishearing things  in addition to genuine miss-hearing I have a tendency to try an anticipate what is being said so that I have more time to compose my thoughts to come up with a reply with a speed  neuotypicals seem to expect, When they say something I wasn't expecting I have to do a double take. 

Dave 

• Yes,

my reading was once described by a teacher as "glance and guess", mostly context and the words around mean that the guess is pretty good. It is when the phrase is short and the letters can be used to form a range of possible words things can get tricky.

Potentially the most inappropriate and embarrassing example that springs to mind followed the attack on Charlie Hebdo, when I initially read the "Je suis Charlie" signs as Jesus Charlie. Thankfully hearing the news reports and a slow realisation that signs in France would be in French triggered a late recognition.

I imagine that the problem is more wide spread than you think and not only limited to the autistic, While attending a Romanian Orthodox Christmas service, the priest was kind enough to repeat part of the service in English, and I was able to hear of the gifts of Gold, Frankenstein and Myrrh.  As i speak no Romanian I am grateful for the priest's kindness in giving the Gospel reading in both languages  but his misreading has stayed with me. (my wife is Romanian)

As for mishearing things  in addition to genuine miss-hearing I have a tendency to try an anticipate what is being said so that I have more time to compose my thoughts to come up with a reply with a speed  neuotypicals seem to expect, When they say something I wasn't expecting I have to do a double take. 

Dave 

Children
No Data