Stimming

My grandson does stimming many a times. How to stop that? he is currently undergoing OT.

Parents
  • I wouldn't stop it unless it is dangerous or he is injuring himself. It is a coping mechanism for him 

• Does stimming reduce over time?

• That depends on the individual I suppose, my daughter has had several stimming behaviours over the years some were quite damaging to herself so those we had to try and reduce or change. Her strongest one is when things get overwhelming or she doesn't know how to cope with what she is feeling she skips back and forward across the living room and while making repetitive noises she can keep this up for hours on a bad day. Personally we found daily sensory sessions helped as she started a wind down routine that helped her focus herself (doesn't always work ) 

How old is your grandson if you don't mind me asking and what sort of stimming are you worried about 

• That depends on the individual I suppose, my daughter has had several stimming behaviours over the years some were quite damaging to herself so those we had to try and reduce or change. Her strongest one is when things get overwhelming or she doesn't know how to cope with what she is feeling she skips back and forward across the living room and while making repetitive noises she can keep this up for hours on a bad day. Personally we found daily sensory sessions helped as she started a wind down routine that helped her focus herself (doesn't always work ) 

How old is your grandson if you don't mind me asking and what sort of stimming are you worried about 

Children
  • Schools have ways of dealing with any issues, this is not to say he will never be bothered by other children but he should not have to change to accommodate them. You may find that the challenge of school could reduce behaviour (reception did with my daughter) but as pressure increases and friendships become more complex she has started not to cope again. I work in a school with several children on the spectrum and 99% of the time the other children are very sensitive to how their behaviour impacts others and as such ignore stimming behaviour (not the case everywhere I know) if you are concerned talk to the school and find out their policies on sensory behaviour

• I was worried that his friends may trouble him if he does stimming in school.

• Gesturing at corners probably, but he will most likely always have something he uses as a coping mechanism most autistics do. 

I'm not a professional but the advice I received was not to stop the stimming unless dangerous, just to try and work out what was causing the need (not easy with small children ) you said he does it when he is alone, maybe it's his way of coping with that. As he gets older he will also develop more complex feelings which may lead to more behaviours but that depends entirely on him. All I can really say is continue to love and support him.

• Do you feel this will reduce with age? 

• Personally I wouldn't worry about it you may find as he gets older it diminishes or that his verbal skills improve and he can say what he is gesturing at. I would try sitting at his level to see if he is seeing something from a different perspective and try talking to him obviously don't expect to much in way of a response but it may distract him. 

• He is three and half years old. Whenever he is alone, he keeps gesturing at corners of walls and keeps saying incomprehensible things..