Libraries

When I was young I used to enjoy visits to libraries, they were a place of refuge.  Peaceful, quiet, a nice atmosphere, the smell of books.  And I enjoyed reading.

Now Dizzy face .it's all changed.

My local library ( as have most of the libraries in the city)      has been refurbished and renamed a community hub.

Now there are few books, .lots of computers, uniformed security guards, meeting rooms, help and advice experts on council services, jobs & benefits.  And finally the local post office has closed down and moved into this library itself.

On one side of the room there is a bookcase and next to it a queue of people using the post office.

I miss the old traditional libraries. With wooden bookshelves, books, a librarian and cardboard library tickets in books with dated stamps.

Parents
  • The old libraries with wooden bookshelves and actual books had a certain magic.

Since childhood I felt safe and at peace in a library.  Reading old and new books, the smell of the paper.

Now they are almost gone.  The library I visited yesterday, is awful.  Actually I had a two hour meeting there with my mental health employment advisor and I was using the computer applying for my latest job.  A part time post paying £26ph.

The computer desks take up more space than the book shelves.  There was a uniformed security guard with a radio and possibly a camera built into his uniform. There was a long queue to use the three post office counters.  The bookshelves are metal and plastic.  There was a loud children's group in one corner.

Yuk.

• The old libraries with wooden bookshelves and actual books had a certain magic.

Since childhood I felt safe and at peace in a library.  Reading old and new books, the smell of the paper.

Now they are almost gone.  The library I visited yesterday, is awful.  Actually I had a two hour meeting there with my mental health employment advisor and I was using the computer applying for my latest job.  A part time post paying £26ph.

The computer desks take up more space than the book shelves.  There was a uniformed security guard with a radio and possibly a camera built into his uniform. There was a long queue to use the three post office counters.  The bookshelves are metal and plastic.  There was a loud children's group in one corner.

Yuk.

Children
  • I have been concerned about meetings involving private sensitive information being held in public spaces in libraries within ear shot of other people. I would definitely want such a meeting to take place somewhere private. I had to pay for a meeting room in my village hall in order to see my Union rep while off work. She wasn't allowed to visit my home and I did not feel comfortable talking about work problems in a cafe or library where other customers might know me or my boss. Does the library you go to have a private meeting room? Some do.