Libraries

When I was young I used to enjoy visits to libraries, they were a place of refuge.  Peaceful, quiet, a nice atmosphere, the smell of books.  And I enjoyed reading.

Now Dizzy face .it's all changed.

My local library ( as have most of the libraries in the city)      has been refurbished and renamed a community hub.

Now there are few books, .lots of computers, uniformed security guards, meeting rooms, help and advice experts on council services, jobs & benefits.  And finally the local post office has closed down and moved into this library itself.

On one side of the room there is a bookcase and next to it a queue of people using the post office.

I miss the old traditional libraries. With wooden bookshelves, books, a librarian and cardboard library tickets in books with dated stamps.

Parents
  • Libraries of old were often a bit intimidating I think.  Some of our Dorset Libraries are community hubs and offer other services but we still have plenty of books! All staff have autism awareness training and two of our libraries have autism rooms which can be reserved, or used informally. these have dimmable lights and soft furnishings as well as muted colours and provide a quieter space if people need it. 

We always have quieter spaces for people where possible and staff are available to chat or help. We employ people with autism too and offer volunteering to young people with all kinds of disabilities. 

Hope you like the picture!

old library

• Libraries of old were often a bit intimidating I think.  Some of our Dorset Libraries are community hubs and offer other services but we still have plenty of books! All staff have autism awareness training and two of our libraries have autism rooms which can be reserved, or used informally. these have dimmable lights and soft furnishings as well as muted colours and provide a quieter space if people need it. 

We always have quieter spaces for people where possible and staff are available to chat or help. We employ people with autism too and offer volunteering to young people with all kinds of disabilities. 

Hope you like the picture!

old library

Children
  • I LHeart eyesve your library’s ~  I’d definitely be making use of the autism rooms, that’s really cool. I’m going to enquiry at my local library and main library to see if we can have some autism rooms ~ thanks for the idea. I generally go to the top floor of our library where it’s quieter but an autism room as well would be amazing. Can’t wait to go to the libraries now :) 

Oh, and yes, I love the picture as well :)