Puberty

As a kid, I seemed to make friends and play football, cricket etc., no problem. However, around the time of puberty, while people I knew became more interested in mixing with the opposite sex, I did not seem to understand how to go about it or even cared that much. Naturally, I had the usual sexual urges of a teenager, but socially I had no clue what to do. I have never really had a proper girlfriend since.

Is this experience something that is relatively common with people on the spectrum?

Parents
  • What you are saying makes a lot of sense. I think it's very likely that it's relatively common with people on the spectrum. And I agree, things seem much easier as a kid. Kids can have an argument one day and be best friends again the next day. Social interaction is less complicated in many ways, and people date or cared about social status. Friends were people you played games with. I also found that things became harder around puberty and that the people I knew started to be less interested in playing games, and more interested in chatting and dating.

• I think you've put your finger on it qwerty. Life as a kid is much simpler because there are much less social conventions to understand. 

Thanks for that.

Reply Children
No Data