A Ghost Story for Christmas

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a good ghost story.

Back in 2000, the BBC broadcast a series of M R James stories, dramatized with Christopher Lee in the role of the great story-teller.

This was one of my favourites...

The Ash Tree

Parents
  • This is one of my faves. I first saw it in 1989:

https://youtu.be/XFWgz4nRe0Q

The Woman on Black. There was a later adaptation of it with the Hardy Potter actor, but I found it rather overdone. The author actually hated the 2989 version though. 

The novel makes a good read too, they actually have set it as part of GCSE studies. 

• I remember the Daniel Radcliffe version.  'Harry Potter and the Woman in Black', as I thought of it!  I didn't like it at all.  He was so wooden in it I'll be surprised if he didn't give himself splinters.

• With a ghost story I think less is more. And when one jump scare in particular happens....it works all the better as a jump scare. 

• Thanks for those recommendations.

I loved 'The Shining' when I read it.  The film is also good - but on a different level.  I was interested to read, in King's memoirs, that he was disappointed in the film.  He relates a tale of how Kubrick rang him up one night and asked him if he believed in God.  He said he did.  Kubrick didn't, though, and was a little leery on notions of the 'supernatural'.  If I remember the film right (not seen it for years), it was more about Jack Torrance as the source of the evil rather than The Overlook Hotel itself.  I think King was influenced by an old Guy de Maupassant short story, 'The Hostelry' - one of my childhood favourites.  'The Thing', too - mainly the John Carpenter version - had a similar setting and atmosphere.  I love anything like that: people isolated and stranded by some circumstance... and something out to get them.  '30 Days of Night' is another such film.

• Thanks for those recommendations.

I loved 'The Shining' when I read it.  The film is also good - but on a different level.  I was interested to read, in King's memoirs, that he was disappointed in the film.  He relates a tale of how Kubrick rang him up one night and asked him if he believed in God.  He said he did.  Kubrick didn't, though, and was a little leery on notions of the 'supernatural'.  If I remember the film right (not seen it for years), it was more about Jack Torrance as the source of the evil rather than The Overlook Hotel itself.  I think King was influenced by an old Guy de Maupassant short story, 'The Hostelry' - one of my childhood favourites.  'The Thing', too - mainly the John Carpenter version - had a similar setting and atmosphere.  I love anything like that: people isolated and stranded by some circumstance... and something out to get them.  '30 Days of Night' is another such film.

Children
No Data