Christmas in Films, Music, Stories, Poems and Traditions

With Christmas rapidly approaching - it seems only twelve months since last time - I thought I would start a thread on Christmas - what it means to us, our memories, what traditions we have (locally or of our own), what we like or don't like, and also to share our favourite films and music of Christmas.

I do not like the commerciality of Christmas.  My favourite memories of Christmas were when I was young, and returning from Church before Christmas to the glow of the the wireless/gramophone set in the living room, the light of which was an eerie green colour, the room being lit by the lights of the Christmas tree and a collection of 78's of Christmas Carols playing on the gramophone. It was a truly magical time.

In the late 1980's a programme was made for Channel 4 of Dylan Thomas's 'A Child's Christmas in Wales'.  This is a film I watch over and over again, it just evokes memories of my early Christmases, when we did not have a television set.  This film isW beautifully shot, and brings the humour of Dylan Thomas out.  'A Child's Christmas in Wales' was originally a short story, and there are versions of Dylan Thomas himself reading it on You Tube.  Dylan Thomas had such a beautiful way of putting things into words, and perhaps because of my own Welsh heritage it always brings a bit of a tear to my eye, in a good way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BTSQYdBuZY

I also think humour is an important part of Christmas and the Christmas season.  I like all sorts of Christmas music from religious to secular, and songs which are really about the season rather than Christmas.  So for my first song which I will put here is this one from Bob Rivers (who is a record producer, not the singer!), the song is a parody of a delivery by a certain brother and sister who were very popular in the 1970's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GONd04tiLk

Please share what Christmas means to you here.  And I will add more as the days pass!

Parents
  • Christmas for me was always very prescribed - there were birthdays & anniversaries nailed onto it so when the people involved died, I was free to have the Christmas I wanted rather than have to take part in other people's craziness.

We do the tree together and wrap all the presents while enjoying a glass (or two) of wine.

We have toys from each other - I think it is very important that it should be fun - I don't want boring things as there's enough misery for the rest of the year.

We sometimes go out for Christmas dinner but this year we're doing it ourselves at home. We did the full Disney Florida Christmas a couple of years ago - which was odd - Christmas trees in 86 degrees.

On Christmas morning, I have a playlist on the computer with a bunch of classics playing while we open our presents.

My all time favourite song is Greg Lake's I believe in Father Christmas because I think the last two lines say it all (it always brings tears to my eyes).

Hallelujah, Noel be it heaven or hell
    The Christmas we get we deserve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPm6CheT6rs

• Christmas for me was always very prescribed - there were birthdays & anniversaries nailed onto it so when the people involved died, I was free to have the Christmas I wanted rather than have to take part in other people's craziness.

We do the tree together and wrap all the presents while enjoying a glass (or two) of wine.

We have toys from each other - I think it is very important that it should be fun - I don't want boring things as there's enough misery for the rest of the year.

We sometimes go out for Christmas dinner but this year we're doing it ourselves at home. We did the full Disney Florida Christmas a couple of years ago - which was odd - Christmas trees in 86 degrees.

On Christmas morning, I have a playlist on the computer with a bunch of classics playing while we open our presents.

My all time favourite song is Greg Lake's I believe in Father Christmas because I think the last two lines say it all (it always brings tears to my eyes).

Hallelujah, Noel be it heaven or hell
    The Christmas we get we deserve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPm6CheT6rs

Children
No Data