Anne Hegerty (The Chase) on I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here!

Not sure if you watch The Chase or IACGMOOH but thought this may be of interest as Anne has Asperger's and is an active campaigner for Autism awareness, so I hope she's given the airtime to explain how she manages with it and that it gives more insight for viewers to help dispel any misconceptions..

Starts on Sunday evening on ITV1. 

• Not a fan of I'm a celeb but I do like to watch the chase from time to time. I hadn't realised that she was aspergers. Very interesting. Glad you shared this. I like finding out about celebrities on the spectrum.

• You are right to have concerns. A lot depends on how the programme is edited, and what they choose to show and not show. Then of course there's the question of how the viewing public responds to what is given airtime. I can't imagine doing it myself - as you say enforced proximity to other people is a truly terrible prospect. It's really courageous of Anne on so many levels. 

I was fascinated by the Circle where the person who won was a man pretending to be a woman communicating via social media using scripts he had pre-prepared. That opened up lots of questions in my mind about what it takes to be socially successful. I wouldn't feel comfortable pretending to have views and feelings, even if it would please other people and make me popular. 

• I can't say I watch the show as all the bugs and eating challenges freak me out haha!

I hope she does well though, I can't imagine having to cope in such a small place with extreme conditions and numerous people with large personalities.

I wonder if anyone else has a similar concern though. Without wanting to sound negative, I'm always worried that if someone with aspergers seems to be doing well it has slightly detrimental effect. By this I mean NT people seem to think "well if they can manage, why can't you"

I totally agree though that more representation and awareness is a good thing

Good luck Anne :)

• What a coincidence! My husband and I were just talking about this when your post popped up! It's great that this will raise awareness of autism. I'm a real fan of Anne Hegerty and The Chase.