"It's like you are just a spectator in this thing": experiencing social life the 'Aspie' way

I found this article on a routine Google search using the search term 'Autism and anomie'.

It's ten years old now and may be a bit dated.  It also, perhaps, doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know.  It's 'academic', I'm afraid, so has the usual jargon.

Worth a read, though...

"It's like you are just a spectator in this thing"

I'd be interested to hear opinions...

Parents
  • Interesting, I thought, to read of our experiences from more of a sociological than a psychological perspective. 

I was especially interested when it came to the interviews with couples, one of whom was NT and the other ND, and the lack of emotional reciprocity that was often found.  One Aspie man was told by a marriage guidance counsellor that he should consider his wife's feelings more.  He replied that he would - but he didn't always understand what they were, even when she explained them.  Quite!

• Interesting, I thought, to read of our experiences from more of a sociological than a psychological perspective. 

I was especially interested when it came to the interviews with couples, one of whom was NT and the other ND, and the lack of emotional reciprocity that was often found.  One Aspie man was told by a marriage guidance counsellor that he should consider his wife's feelings more.  He replied that he would - but he didn't always understand what they were, even when she explained them.  Quite!

Children