Motorcycling

Purely out of curiosity, how many Bikers do we have in here?

Feel free to reply listing what your current/most recent steed is/was

Parents
  • I love bikes... but don't have one any more.

My first bike, at 17, was a Suzuki GT 185 (1976).  When I think of the chances I took on that machine, I'm lucky to still be here!

Next bike was a Honda CB 250 - the American-styled one with the bulbous tank and big, chunky seat.  Loved that bike.  Only got rid of it because I passed my driving test and bought a car instead.

There was a 30-year gap until I got my next bike (mid-life crisis?!!)  It was a black Honda CBF 600.  Not a superbike, but quick enough.  I loved that, too - but over the years, I found I'd lost my nerve a bit with bikes.  Terrified of using it in the wet.

I'd still have it now if it hadn't been for one little incident.  It was due for MOT - and on the day, the rear tyre was flat.  I checked it out and could see no evidence of nails.  So I wheeled it down to the garage and left it.  When I went back, they said the problem had been a perished valve.  The valves naturally bend with the centrifugal force when you're riding.  They said this one had been flexed to its limits and had finally snapped.  The guy said 'You were lucky it didn't happen out on the motorway.  You'd have had an instant flat, gone out of control, and who knows...'

That was all I needed to hear.  I put it up for sale the next day!  Soon sold with a 12-month ticket.

Here's my video ad when I put her up for sale...

Honda CBF 600

I still have a hankering for a bike.  But I don't think I'd have the nerve for it now.

• I still have a hankering for a bike.  But I don't think I'd have the nerve for it now

I have no idea where you live but this is exactly where either approaching your local friendly riding school or IAM/RoSPA group wi=ould be very beneficial.

If you would like any further info, please feel free to add me as a friend and send me a PM

• I still have a hankering for a bike.  But I don't think I'd have the nerve for it now

I have no idea where you live but this is exactly where either approaching your local friendly riding school or IAM/RoSPA group wi=ould be very beneficial.

If you would like any further info, please feel free to add me as a friend and send me a PM

Children
No Data