Motorcycling

Purely out of curiosity, how many Bikers do we have in here?

Feel free to reply listing what your current/most recent steed is/was

Parents
  • New biker here. Passed my CBT August last year, rode an MT-125 for the next 10 months, then passed my test July this year. Now on a CBR650F. Just started because I can't stand driving or getting the bus to work. Didn't realise how much it gets under your skin. Now I'd call it a serious hobby. When I found out I was autistic I became more confident on the bike, for some reason. I felt more entitled, less of an interloper. It suits my personality. I live near a main road and love hearing the bikes go by and identifying them from their engine sound. The jap inline fours are my favourite, I'd love a GSXR750. But for the sake of practicality (and my back) the next one will probably be a tourer, maybe something like a DL-1000.

• New biker here. Passed my CBT August last year, rode an MT-125 for the next 10 months, then passed my test July this year. Now on a CBR650F. Just started because I can't stand driving or getting the bus to work. Didn't realise how much it gets under your skin. Now I'd call it a serious hobby. When I found out I was autistic I became more confident on the bike, for some reason. I felt more entitled, less of an interloper. It suits my personality. I live near a main road and love hearing the bikes go by and identifying them from their engine sound. The jap inline fours are my favourite, I'd love a GSXR750. But for the sake of practicality (and my back) the next one will probably be a tourer, maybe something like a DL-1000.

Children
  • Hi NAS38192,

In my experience, the majority of people who start riding relatively young, seem to head for sports bikes first and then migrate through to tourers/cruisers (I still maintain that I'm too young for a Harley! lol).  Personally, I started the other way round.  My first proper bike was an old Yamaha XJ600F (later was replaced by the Diversion).  I then tried several other bikes but migrated to owning a sports-tourer - Triumph SprintST1050 (a truly lovely bike with all day comfort and lovely handling that would really annoy the typical sports bike rider simply because I would corner quicker than they would).  Change of life circumstances then let me to a cruiser (Kawasaki EN500) that I originally acquired for a bottle of JD as a wedding present for the wife (10 years later and she still hasn't passed her test!).  I've always liked the idea of a Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja which I finally convinced the wife to let me buy 5 years ago (apparently I was leaving too many spark trails when cornering on the cruiser - still have it in the garage though).

I love my Ninja.  For some reason, she and I just fit.  Okay, my modern standards she is now old and fat (for a sports bike) being 23 years old and 203KG.  That said, being older, the pillion seat is a proper seat - cushioned and everything - and, despite the clip-on bars, there isn't too much weight on the wrists (not like a friend's R1 that I rode back to Eastbourne from Newbury a few years back).  I have literally done Eastbourne to Lancaster and back again in a night on the Ninja without any aches, pains or stiffness.

When looking for a new bike, the best advice I can give is go to the trade shows (Motorcycle Live, London Motorcycle Show etc) where you can get an opportunity to sit on just about every new/current model of bike on the market - just see what fits.

My wife used to dream of a GSXR600 - until she sat on one.  For some reason, the geometry was just wrong for her and, as soon as she sat on it with her hands on the bars and feet on the pegs, she got an instant back ache.

Another option would be to visit, or even join, a local bike group (e.g. your local IAM Roadsmart Motorcycle Group).

As a new rider, the only other bit of advice I would offer would be to go get some more training.  One way to look at it is that having passed your DSA test (theory, mod1 & mod2) you have just passed your GCSE in riding a motorcycle.  You will, in all likelihood, find yourself becoming a very reactive rider - you react to that car pulling out on you, you react to that child running into the street etc).  Schemes like the Enhanced Rider Scheme and Bike Safe could be considered your A-Levels and completing your IAM Advanced Motorcycle Test would be your undergraduate degree, at the end of which, you will be a lot more pro-active on the road (e.g. there is a car approaching that junction from the left, so I'll move my position slightly in case he pulls out, or there is an adult pushing a pushchair but it is empty, where is the child? Ah, there he is playing with a ball so I'll slow down and take a wider line in case he runs into the road after it etc).

At the end of the day though, it is all your choice and the most important aspect is to enjoy your riding whilst keeping it shiny side up.  So, vision up, throttle open and stay safe.

MRT502