Jazz Hands

Did you see the news story last week about the students union that wanted to ban clapping because it might cause distress to sensitive souls like myself. It was the cause of much hilarity on various topical comedy shows. But I thought it was a thoughtful and well-meaning attempt to be a bit more inclusive and maybe a hopeful sign for the future.

Parents
  • I don't like continual clapping, the loudness certainly does not gel well with me.  But it is a natural thing for people to do, so I certainly would not wish to ban it.

On a personal level, I may not have learned the technique properly as it hurts my hands and I find it very uncomfortable, sometimes giving lasting pain in my wrists. I never really join in with it.

However, when I have given a talk on something (and I am not very comfortable at all speaking to an audience), it is very gratifying when people do show their appreciation with a round of applause. As an aside, I was once at a talk and the mc at the end in his thankyou speech said 'and can we all show our appreciation with a round of clap!'

It is not only autistic people who forget words!

• Your final comment made me laugh :-) Thanks Trainspotter! Enjoy your day, Anna

Reply Children
No Data